This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVM chapter.

With Halloween right around the corner, it’s the perfect time to learn about some spooky areas right in our home state of Vermont.  A quick disclaimer: I am in no way telling you to go visit these places (I never have, and I love the idea of all things spooky), but if you decide to go check them out, make sure to take all necessary precautions.  Go in a group, be sober, and never trespass into private properties… there’s a reason some of these places could be closed to the public.  With that said, let’s get into it…

1. Emily’s Bridge, Stowe, VT

This bridge is said by many to be haunted by a girl named Emily.  There are many different renditions to the story that led to this haunting, but one legend says Emily was waiting at the bridge to elope with her lover, who never showed up to meet her.  Heartbroken, she committed an act that took her own life.  There are reports of people who visit the bridge hearing distant bangs, screams, whispers, and footsteps, along with the feelings of being scratched and having an overall sense of discomfort.  I would personally avoid this bridge at all costs…

2. Bennington Triangle, Bennington, VT

This area of Vermont is eerie and unsettling since 8 people vanished within 5 years, without a trace, somewhere within the wooded mountains that encompass the Bennington Triangle. Taking place between 1945-1950, the stories of each individual are freakishly similar: someone is out for a hike or a walk, usually accompanied by a group of people, they get too far ahead or behind of the group, and are never seen again.  These cases have never been solved due to the finite amount of clues.  Theories range from serial killers to paranormal experiences, and everything in between.  The Bennington Triangle disappearances have been covered by many high-profile YouTubers, as well as a two-part documentary on Youtube.  Stay away from this area…

3. University of Vermont, Burlington, VT

Yes, you read that right. Our very own University is claimed to have more haunted buildings than anywhere else in Vermont.  In the counseling center, people have reported seeing an apparition of John Nabb, a man who previously lived and died in the home that was renovated and transformed into the counseling center.  There have been reports of Nabb slamming doors, shutting windows, and knocking items over.  Also, the Bittersweet House (a facility for the environmental program) is considered one of the most haunted areas on campus.  People report seeing full-body apparitions of a woman named Margaret Smith– and these sightings are so vivid, people describe her as having “neat” hair and wearing a long dress. Maybe switch your classes…

4. Marble Inn, Fair Haven, VT

Built-in 1867, it’s hard to imagine a building this old that isn’t haunted. People have experienced being locked in and out of their rooms, even after the doors have been manually unlocked with a key, and one guest staying at the inn had reported waking up randomly in the middle of the night to see an apparition of a man at the foot of his bed, dressed in a suit.  An employee at the inn was working in the basement when he saw a vivid apparition of a woman, staring at him.  It was so vivid that he asked her to leave, and she ignored him before slowly turning around and walking away.  He followed her out, and when he turned the corner, the room was dark and empty.  I would pack my bags…

5. Lake Bomoseen, West Castleton, VT

The town this lake is located in was completely abandoned in the 1930s… it became a ghost town (pun intended).  Now, people travel across this lake to go dine in a restaurant that was made popular by the new locals.  One night, three friends decided to make this journey across the lake like they had many times, and never returned. Their boat was found on the lake the next day, where it had always been. Today, there are reported sightings of a rowboat gliding across the lake, leaving no ripples behind. I’ll stick to Lake Champlain…

It’s crazy to think our state has so many haunted areas with creepy stories to accompany them.  Again, I’m not endorsing any endeavors to these places– these stories and reports speak for themselves, and there have been too many anecdotes for me to question the haunted nature of these places.  However, if you decide to go, keep me posted with your experiences…

Be safe, good luck, and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Xoxo,

Cati

*Edited by Isabelle Vogell.

Hey, I'm Cati (cah-tee, not Katie)! I'm entering my senior year at the University of Vermont studying Public Communications with a concentration in Community Media and Journalism. I've always enjoyed writing, especially when it's about topics relevant to a college-aged demographic. I love giving advice, finding new music, and practicing wellness within mind and body. When I have a moment to relax, I'm usually cuddling with my kitten, Maui, reading my horoscope (I'm a Sagittarius), meditating, or taking a bath- of course, with a favorite Lush Bath Bomb. Over the years I've found a few passions that I can't wait to share with you!
Hi, I'm Isabelle! I am a collaborative Public Communication and Community Entrepreneurship student at the University of Vermont. I am passionate about public relations within industries that give back to the world, and I enjoy writing and working with others.