Your Guide to Voting at School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Election Day is just a little over a month away, and the deadlines to register to vote are quickly approaching. Make sure that you’re prepared to exercise your right to vote and get registered! Students have a couple of options in order to vote while away at school:

1) Register to Vote in Charlottesville

You can register to vote in Charlottesville, even if you don’t live in Virginia. This is a great option because a lot of people have found the complicated process of registering to vote absentee frustrating. Additionally, it can be easier to just vote in Charlottesville than to deal with an absentee ballot.

If you live in Virgnia, you can register to vote in Charlottesville either online at vote.virginia.gov, or in person through a party representative. If you’re out of state, you have to register in person. Party reps are frequently registering voters on the Corner, outside of Newcomb, and on the top floor of Clem. Once you’ve registered, you’ll be mailed all the information you need to know about voting, like your polling place.

**The deadline to register to vote in Charlottesville is Monday, October 17.

2) Register to Vote Absentee

You have the option to vote absentee if you want to register under your permanent home address instead of your UVA address. You can vote absentee either by mail-in ballot, or in person in Charlottesville. You can register for the first time with an absentee ballot, or change your registration to absentee at https://vote.elections.virginia.gov/VoterInformation.

**The deadline to request an absentee ballot to be mailed to you is 5 p.m. on Tuesday, November 1.

**The deadline to request an absentee ballot by appearing in person is 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 5, 2016.

For more information on how to participate in the democratic process, or to check your voter registration status, see http://www.elections.virginia.gov/index.html.