Culture > Digital

YikYak is Taking Over Grounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

In 2016, YikYak swept the freshman class of my high school and it truly spread like wildfire. We went on a freshman trip to a cabin for three days and I can honestly say it was the most toxic three days of my life. Due to the fact that we were the only humans within a twenty mile radius, as we were in the middle of the woods, my classmates were the only people on the app. While YikYak used to be a place where freshman girls brutally called each other out by name, things have dramatically changed. 

Charlottesville has been taken over by YikYak and is now better than ever. It is no longer an app used to bully people, but rather, it is now used to spread joy throughout grounds. What makes the app so unique is that it only shows you “Yaks” within a five mile radius, also known as your “herd.” To give some further background, the app is entirely anonymous so whenever you post a Yak, no one knows your identity. You can also comment on posts, as well as “upvote,” which is essentially a like button. It’s similar to Twitter in the sense that it has a character limit, but the only difference is that there are no accounts to “follow” with only a small radius of posts you can see. 

Because it is mostly UVA students on the app, except for the occasional person from Charlottesville, it’s like one giant inside joke. Every post has something to do with unique UVA things. For example, a recent post said “100 upvotes and I’ll set a lobster loose on Clem 3.”  If you didn’t go to UVA, this would be pretty difficult to understand. But because most of us have spent hours typing away in Clem, this is pretty hilarious. This app is so popular right now because it’s relatable. Due to the anonymity of posts, people can finally say what everyone is thinking without the fear of being judged. A recent Yak said that “if you’re texting on your Macbook in front of me in class I’m reading everything you’re saying.” While this might be true for a lot of people, including myself, one might be scared to say that out loud. But now with YikYak, the world is your oyster and the internet is full of your private thoughts!

I highly recommend downloading the app if you’re a UVA student or if you simply just need a laugh. Nothing is held back, so run wild!

Hi! My name is Nicole Garibaldi and I am a second year from Arlington, VA. I am a pre-comm major with a minor in computer science. I love baking, painting, and snuggling my rescue lab Tucker! Please talk to me about Harry Styles!!!