The Women’s Leadership Development Program at UVA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Women have had quite a ride this year, from Planned Parenthood debates to sexual assault and misconduct revelations within large institutions like Hollywood and the government. We’ve seen how women are viewed in positions of power and leadership, and how gender roles shape power dynamics within society. At the University of Virginia, college women can explore and discuss the female leadership experience and challenges in the Women’s Leadership Development Program. As their mission statement says, “WLDP empowers UVA women by challenging them to achieve their full leadership potential as scholars, community members, and professionals.” It was established to encourage young college women to identify their leadership style, develop their skills, and build self confidence, as well as providing networking opportunities. (Information about application at the end!)

Some group leaders on our hiking retreat!

Spreading the word in Old Dorms!

I was a participant in the program last spring, and I loved the experience so much that I’m now a group leader for next semester’s program! I talked to some of my fellow group leaders about their experiences with WLDP as we explore our lives as female leaders. Kelly and Julia are both second years in the College of Arts and Sciences. Kelly is thinking about studying commerce, economics, or foreign affairs, and Julia is studying French, and is also interested in global development studies or political and social thought!

What does WLDP mean to you? Why do you guys feel that WLDP is needed at UVA?

Kelly: To me, WLDP is an opportunity to expand my horizons and direct my energy towards productive goals. It is a channel to learn more about myself and my goals in both a personal and professional sense. I think it is a very important program that is needed at UVA because it creates a platform for first and second year women who are interested in leading but may not necessarily know where or how yet and it helps them develop the skills to go forward and take action in whatever may interest them. UVA is a hugely competitive school where kids are bound to start facing rejection and failure, mostly for the first time. WLDP is an opportunity available to all 1st and 2nd year women that demonstrate a genuine interest and can be used as a great tool for getting more involved in other organizations on grounds.

Julia: WLDP has the potential to be an extremely valuable mentoring and networking opportunity for young women at UVA who are looking for ways to be leaders in their own right. I think it’s especially important at the moment because of the political climate, so that female students know their place in the world is valid and that they can have positions of power in (still) male-dominated spaces. I also think it’s needed at UVA specifically because of our ongoing issues with inclusions of minorities, so WLDP has the potential to boost ALL women of ALL backgrounds if approached the right way. So what WLDP means to me is the ability to help push that change.

What do you think it means to be a good leader?

Kelly: A good leader is someone who is aware of those she is leading and helps guide them to achieve their goals. The most important part of leadership is encouraging teamwork and inspiring others around you.

Julia: A good leader is someone who guides people to see their potential and accomplish something great.

What women do you look up to? Who inspires you, and why?

Kelly: A woman I truly admire is my friend’s mom, Robin Dunnigan. She is inspirational because she is the funniest, goofiest, and most genuine woman while simultaneously being an absolute shark in her career. She is extremely intelligent and hardworking but knows not to take herself or life too seriously. She inspires me to be my truest self throughout the pursuit of my goals and to not hide my personality just because it is a professional setting.

Julia: Catherine Rampell, columnist for the Washington Post, because she’s one of the most thought-provoking and intelligent journalists I know of, and she’s constantly battling internet trolls with poise and intellect as they try and tear down her status as a female journalist.  

Handing out the last of the cupcakes during our fall promo event!

Cupcakes and flyers always draw people in!

As you can see, WLDP is a great program made up of a bunch of women empowering women, supporting each other and creating a network to reach to in your leadership journey. If you’re a first or second year woman, Julia, Kelly, the rest of the team, and I invite and encourage you to apply to the Women’s Leadership Development Program! The program is in the early parts of spring semester. The application opens November 17 and closes November 27th. You can find the application at www.virginia.edu/newcomb/wldp !!! WLDP is one of the best experiences I’ve had at my time at UVA so far, and I recommend it to anyone interested in buffing up their leadership skills and churning out some boss ladies!

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!