Why “On the Basis of Sex” Should Be at the Top of Your Watchlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Every American felt the great loss of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg last month, but for American women (and women across the globe for that matter), I think the loss felt particularly personal. RBG opened doors and smashed glass ceilings for women her whole life, and it’s only right that we honor that legacy. In an effort to do just that, I chose to watch On the Basis of Sex this week since I missed its original debut in 2018, and I’m here to tell you: it’s more than worth the watch.

*Spoiler Alert* The film mainly takes place in the 70s, and it tells a story of the early career of the late Justice Ginsburg and how she fought a groundbreaking case in order to try to set a new legal precedent that no law should differentiate “on the basis of sex” (get the title now?). The movie is inspiring and entertaining for a whole host of reasons; the first of which being that it led me to have just a little more faith in our systems of government. In a time when it becomes more and more difficult to continue believing in the systems of our democracy, the movie is an inspiration. It was refreshing for me to be able to watch our justice system function as it was intended to (a lawyer effectively argued a logically sound and morally right appeal, and she was able to change our country’s laws), and it gave me hope that we might continue to reset precedents in such a way so that all people of all groups may eventually be treated equally in the eyes of the law. 

As a woman, I of course also found myself feeling inspired on a more personal level. It was so uplifting to see such an incredibly smart, driven, and talented woman stand up to all the men in her life who told her she wasn’t enough, and then prove beyond a shadow of a doubt (both with the specific appeal portrayed in the film, as well as the long and impressive career she carried out afterwards) that she in fact was much more than “enough.” I highly recommend that any woman (or anyone really) who’s feeling ready to feel inspired work on their careers or their education, or maybe just themselves in general, watches this film asap. It will have you wanting to jump off your bed and go get sh*t done and maybe change the world in the process; I think, especially in 2020, that we could all use a little bit of that motivation since our world is definitely in need of some change. 

If seeing an inspiring woman take on the American justice system isn’t enticing enough (hint: it should be), the movie also has a lot to say about issues that anyone can relate to and enjoy watching: like the joys and challenges of raising children (or of being the child on the other side of that), the complex challenges that come with maintaining a healthy relationship, or marriage. Filled with tender family moments as well as the inspirational story of one brilliant trailblazing woman, On the Basis of Sex has something for everyone. Even though it’s mainly set in the 70s, the subject matter has never been more relevant than in 2020. Make sure to find time to watch this one; I promise it’s worth it. 

Eliza is a third year majoring in Cognitive Science and minoring in French. Her interests include traveling, social activism, and spending time with her closest friends!
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!