Who I Would Cast as the Gods for Disney Plus’ Upcoming Percy Jackson TV Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you’ve been a fan of the Percy Jackson books series since you learned how to read (like me), then you are probably aware of the fact that a new TV show is coming to Disney+ next year. And even more exciting news came out earlier this week—Rick Riordan, who is the author of the books and has significant creative direction in the show, announced that they have cast the lead role! Walker Scobell, a young actor who recently starred in Netflix’s The Adam Project, is our new Percy Jackson.

As far as we know, the rest of the cast has yet to be slated. However, because I am your resident Percy Jackson effort, I have decided to take up the task. It is of my personal belief that the young actors and actresses who play the main roles of Percy and his friends should be relative unknowns like Scobell, but I think it would be very appropriate to make the legendary Greek gods of Olympus A-list (or at least very recognizable) stars.

There are many, MANY gods that appear throughout the five-book series, so I have decided just to focus on those who play a role in the first book, The Lightning Thief, which will align with the first season of the TV series.

Jack Black as DIONYSUS

One of the great shames of the original Percy Jackson movies is that we never got to see the sarcastic, hilarious god of wine Dionysus (or as campers know him, Mr.D) interact with Percy and his friends—which is why I think this role needs to be done justice in the TV series. Jack Black could fill the hole in our hearts. His goofiness would perfectly add to Mr. D’s annoyance with the campers of Camp Half Blood, and in such a funny series, he would only make the comedy even greater.

Alternative Choice: Because I have been scrolling through possible lists of actors for the PJO TV series since it was announced, I know Danny DeVito is a fan favorite for this role, and I cannot say I am opposed.

Eric dane as ARES

Possible spoiler alert for those who haven’t read this series, but Ares is not exactly portrayed as a great guy. He’s a jerk, to be frank, and so in deciding who could fill this role I immediately thought of Eric Dane, who is known for his role as Cal Jacobs in HBO’s Euphoria. With this role behind him, we know that Dane can play a detestable character like Ares, and he could definitely pull of the biker look that Ares sports in the book.

Alternative Choice: Joel McHale may not be as macho as is needed for Ares, but he can play a jerk–which at the end of the day, is all Ares really is.

Daniel bruhl as HADES

While on the search for my Ares pick, I found myself googling “Marvel villains” — only to realize this title fit an actor who could play Hades like no other. Daniel Bruhl, known for his role as Baron Zemo in Captain America: Civil War and subsequent projects, as an unsettling elegance about him that perfectly encapsulates Riordan’s description of Hades in the book. However, I don’t think he would be opposed to throw in a few silly lines to match the overall lightness of the series.

Alternative Choice: If they were to go for a more comical choice, I think Russell Brand looks the part.

idris elba as ZEUS

I’ll admit, casting Zeus is probably the hardest choice I had to make on this list. In order to narrow down my choices, I continued my quest on google by searching “Intimidating Men in Hollywood” and Idris Elba came up as number one. I think Elba would be an amazing fit for this role. He has the authority and star power to inspire the fear and respect that Zeus elicits, but he also is a likable guy, which is needed so that Zeus is not unbearable to watch on screen.

Alternative Choice: He may have a little too much sarcasm in his system to be the King of the Gods, but Robert Downey Jr. oozes the charm and power that Zeus needs.

Charlize Theron as ATHENA

Athena doesn’t actually appear in the first book in the PJO series, but her daughter, Annabeth, is one of the main characters. And, selfishly, I wanted to included my favorite goddess. Athena (in the books and in real myth) constantly walks to the line between intimidating and matronly, kind and cold. Charlize Theron, I think, can capture this dichotomy perfectly.

Alternate Choice: Emma Watson! How iconic would it be if Emma took not one but two iconic children’s series by storm?

LOGAN LERMAN as POSEIDON

I saved the best for last. Logan Lerman played Percy Jackson in the 2010, not so beloved movie adaptation of Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. However, despite the general hate for the movie held by fans of the book series, people generally agree that Lerman’s part in the project was a right-person-wrong-time phenomenon—he looks the part and has the snark and the heart of Percy Jackson. That being said, Lerman is now 30-years old, so he really cannot reprise his role, but fans would absolutely LOVE to see him back as Percy’s father.

Not only that, but Lerman has the acting chops to play such a complicated character as Poseidon. To see this, one has to look no further than his acting in Perks of Being a Wallflower. Incredible.

Alternate Choice: Ethan Hawke—this may seem like a random pick, but I believe Logan Lerman and Ethan Hawke have very similar auras, which in my mind makes Ethan Hawke a great choice if (sigh) Logan Lerman for some reason doesn’t end up as Poseidon.

Hi! My name is Paige Chambers and I am a first-year at the University of Virginia planning to study English and Biology. I love to read, write, run, and of course listen to Taylor Swift!