Style

What Your Overused Halloween Costume Says About You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Every year thousands of girls don the same five costumes with varying degrees of caustic confidence. I’m not saying you shouldn’t wear these costumes, they’re classics for a reason, but if you’ve ever wondered what your choice of overused Halloween attire says about you, here’s your comprehensive guide.

Frat Brother

People only make fun of the things they love. If you’re dressing up as a Frat Boy you probably have a few friends in greek life and are probably borrowing their idiosyncrasies for the evening.

Spice Girls

You’ve got a tight group of girl friends and you can’t wait to spend Halloweekend with them, but you’ve got some drama on the backburner. Even if they aren’t saying it, someone is mad that they got stuck being Ginger Spice. Be prepared for every person you cross paths with to break out in spontaneous, unrequested singing, of the “tell me what you want, what you really really want” variety. People will know you’re the Spice Girls, but they won’t ever be able to remember who is who, and based on your level of inebriation, you probably won’t remember either.

Fruit T-Shirt

DIY is your lifeblood and Instagram is your alter. After you’re done taking posed pics you’ll probably put aside some time for the planned candids. Captions are very important to you and you’ll spend more time inventing, soundboarding, and revising one than you will in your actual costume. You’re the kind of hipster that would never call herself a hipster and you probably own more than two pairs of Vans. Be prepared for an onslaught of fruit puns and if you have elected to be a pineapple, make the former a double. 

A Cat

Maybe you wanted to be something cute and simple. Maybe you wanted to be Pam from The Office. Maybe you watched Mean Girls and decided that a bunny was too much. Whatever the inspiration, you fall into one of two categories. Your favorite book is either Jane Eyre or a collectables CatWoman Comic. You’ve either been planning this for months or you threw it together at the last second. By the end of the night you’ll end up wasted in an Uber you don’t remember calling or watching Twitches and eating ghost shaped rice crispy treats with a Pinterest Perfect Movie Night aesthetic. The dichotomy of the cat costume is real, so don’t assume that every Cat Girl is looking for the same Halloween.

Bob Ross and His Painting

You’re a Youtube fanatic with a quirky sense of humor. You find joy in being different, even if in the process of being different you wind up being exactly like everyone else. You say you love the dollar store, but have only shopped there twice. You keep lots of plants in your room but keep forgetting to water them. You can quote The Office, Parks and Rec, or Arrested Development with frightening accuracy. Most importantly however, you can’t wait to tell people that you’re Bob Ross and every time you do, you’ll assume the iconic pose and probably sport your best impersonation. This impersonation could last anywhere from a couple seconds to half an hour, or might even be an evening-long engagement.

Ellie Wilkie is a double major in English & Political Science at UVA. She enjoys satire, sketch comedy, historical fiction, and the 1995 masterpiece Clueless. Ellie is a cat lady in training with a propensity for sarcasm and Bodo's Bagels.
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!