This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Many fashion enthusiasts want to appreciate and enjoy their wardrobe for as long as possible. Hence, for those individuals, it’s important to develop a closet consisting of some timeless pieces. 

Timeless fashion gracefully thrives outside of the trend cycle, lasting for years in your wardrobe without becoming outdated or objectionable. In other words, “Timeless style is an elevated classic fashion style that ceases to go out of style or look dated” (Arruda). It’s often simple and sleek. It fits you well. It’s the leather jacket and jeans that comfortably and confidently emphasize a silhouette. It’s your favorite plain white tee shirt. It’s the Doc Martens that you’ve been wearing since high school. Acquiring timeless pieces helps you establish a “wardrobe that withstands the test of time” (Rajasthan). A timeless piece withstands the test of time not just through outliving different trends, but through its lasting quality. “Timeless fashion prioritizes quality and durability. Instead of focusing on low-cost production, timeless fashion brands invest in skilled craftsmanship and superior materials” (Acevedo). Because timeless fashion brands focus less on the current fleeting trend, they produce less quickly, enabling them to allocate their resources towards higher quality, more sustainable pieces. Because of their better quality, timeless fashion items tend to be a bit more expensive, but don’t let this sway you. You may spend more on a timeless item, but you will likely get more uses and enjoyment out of it over the years due to its longevity. 

Some Notable Timeless Staples: 

Denim: Having been popular since the 1950’s, denim has never seemed to go out of style (Lovelace). 

Neutrals: Neutrals, especially black, can not only pair with a plethora of other garments, likely increasing their uses, but they never go out of style. 

Layering items: Common garments you’d use for layering possess a timelessness in that you can use the pieces in a variety of ways. For example, you may choose to wear a white tee shirt underneath a vest, on its own, or under a blazer or jacket. A versatile piece is often timeless.

If you aim to create a wardrobe that withstands the test of time, direct your attention onto timeless items. You’ll likely find that despite the trend cycle and its dynamic, fleeting nature, you’ll consistently appreciate your wardrobe and its enduring, timelessly classic style.

Sources:

Acevedo, Kimberley. “Timeless Fashion: An Alternative to Fast Fashion.” State of Matter Apparel, 12 Sep. 2023, stateofmatterapparel.com/blogs/som-blog/timeless-fashion-an-alternative-to-fast-fashion. 

Arruda, Author Gabrielle. “How to Master Timeless Style: Elegant Fashion Style.” Gabrielle Arruda, 28 Apr. 2023, gabriellearruda.com/rules-to-master-timeless-style-fashion/. 

Lovelace, Tom. “History of Denim & the Origin of Jeans.” Hawthorn, 5 Dec. 2022, www.hawthornintl.com/history-of-denim.

Rajasthan, Ebazaar. “Fashion Trends vs. Timeless Style: Striking the Balance.” Medium, Medium, 18 Sep. 2023, medium.com/@ebazaar/fashion-trends-vs-timeless-style-striking-the-balance-53d740754ac6. 

Julianne Sweeten is a writer at the Her Campus Charlottesville chapter. She is a student at the University of Virginia and also serves as a member of the American Medical Student Association and the Futures in Fashion Association. On the side, Julianne is an avid romantic, enjoying music, movies, and thrifting as well as spending time with friends, family, and her beloved dog Kooper.