Warm Drinks for Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The first bit of snow took Charlottesville by a storm this past Tuesday afternoon as the drones of students battled their way to class through the hazardous weather. If you are anything like me the last thing you wanted to be doing was walking upwind in the snow to that 9:30am psychology lecture. After class (and slip and sliding down the corner to my apartment while passing the Starbucks on the way) I felt an intense craving for a warm drink that I could curl up with in my room and take a post-class nap with. Here are a few suggestions for this cold weather. 

Chai Tea Latte: This classic drink from India exudes a spicy aftertaste with a hint of sweetness. The drink first became popular along the roadsides of India when merchants sold healing spices to go along with their black tea. Most Chai Teas include herbs, spices, vanilla, and honey. It has become incredibly popular in America and many different versions of the tea have been modified. If you are on a budget and Starbucks is not an option, try going to Trader Joe’s and checking out their Oregon Chai mix. I love this mix because it is incredibly quick; all you need to do is just add milk and warm it up in the microwave!

Green Tea: For those of us who are still attempting to go strong on that “I will lose 5 pounds” New Year’s resolution, this warm drink provides a satisfying burst of flavor and the kick that your metabolism craves. According to Harvard Health Publications, elements in tea called flavonoids produce antioxidants that clear out the digestive system and promote heart health among other benefits. Yogi’s Super Antioxidant Green Tea is a great brand of green tea that has all natural ingredients. If the tea alone isn’t enough to satisfy your taste buds, rather than adding sugar, try using Agave Nectar!  This sweetener derives from the same plant that they use to make tequila and goes really well with the citrus, licorice, and jasmine flavors that complement Green Tea. 

Salted Carmel Mocha: This drink is fabulous because it mixes the best of both worlds: sweet and salty. To complement the caramel flavor add a dash of buttery chocolate for a melt in your mouth kind of experience. It’s the kind of drink that makes you want to go take a barista class so that you can perfectly replicate it on your own time. The recipe includes a shot of espresso, caramel sauce, cocoa powder, sea salt, milk, and whipped cream. If you do not have an espresso maker then substitute the espresso with coffee.

Spiced Warm Cider: Cider is traditionally thought of as a fall drink, but with Carter Mountain Apple Orchard so nearby, who says we need fall to enjoy it. The best part? Its caffeine free so if you are still trying to decaffeinate from finals week this is the right beverage for you. To make spiced cider you need a sauce pan and a strainer. Combine the cider, dark brown sugar, two sticks of cinnamon, five allspice berries, a chunk of fresh ginger, and three cloves into the sauce pan and cook for twenty minutes. Then strain it into a punch bowl and your homemade cider is served. 

The cold of this winter season may seem never-ending, but warm up your day by trying one of these delicious beverages.