UVA Affiliates Now Need to Show ID on Free Trolley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you use the Free Trolley, take note: UVA students and affiliates are now being asked to scan their University ID cards before boarding. University students have long been able to use any Charlottesville Area Transit (CAT) bus, some of which charge fares, for free with a valid student ID. The Free Trolley, as suggested, is a free bus service which runs throughout Charlottesville and to the Downtown Mall, and is frequented by students, hospital employees and faculty.

Recently, CAT has started requesting that students scan their student IDs before boarding the bus. From experience, it’s best to have your ID card out and ready to scan, to avoid frustration and backing up the entry to the bus.

John Jones, a transit manager for the CAT, said via e-mail that “we are working with the University to track how many students and employees utilize the service and where most of that use occurs.  It assists both organizations with future transit planning efforts and the ability to obtain additional funding for enhancements to the Trolley and CAT system as a whole.”

Next time you’re about to take the Trolley, remember to pull out your ID!