This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The days are warming up, which means it’s time to re-emerge from our dorms and apartments and hit the town for Charlottesville’s spring. As an eager first year, I feel like I hit all the classic spots pretty early on. I tackled hiking on humpback rock, doing homework on the lawn, and grabbing lunch at Lambeth within the first month of becoming a student at UVA. After a long winter, with a painful amount of time spent indoors, I’m looking to get back out and try something new. I thought I would share my findings with all the people looking to make their spring that much more exciting. 

Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive

Although a little bit of a trek by car (roughly an hour), Shenandoah National Park is known for its Skyline Drive that takes you through the Blue Ridge Mountains with 360 degree views. The drive features over 75 overlooks, which would be a perfect spot to grab a picnic blanket, some food in a basket, and camp out in the trunk of a car. TripAdvisor reviews also suggest keeping your eyes out for turkeys, deer, and black bears that wander the forest next to the road. 

Foxfield Races

Foxfield Races is a tailgating event for those craving a “Sunday Best” kind of vibe. Throw on your favorite colorful attire, grab some finger food, and get ready to hang out with your favorite people in the sunshine and watch the horse races.

Crozet LOVEwork

If you’re out in Crozet, make a stop at Montfair Resort Farm to go see Crozet’s LOVEwork. They’ve taken sticks and weaved the letters of LOVE, which makes for a great, loved-up photo-op. Like all the other stops, this one is perfect for a picnic in the sun with your favorite people on a Saturday afternoon. 

Farm Bell Kitchen

This one has to be one of the more well-known spots in Charlottesville, but there is nothing better than a nice brunch to cap the weekend on a Sunday morning. If you’re looking for order recommendations, I would go straight to one of the fat stacks of pancakes or the Avocado Egg Bake if you’re looking for a healthier option. The iced coffee is the perfect side to any breakfast item. 

Tread Happy Charlottesville

Looking for a new exercise class? This is the only group-running studio in the South East. I, for one, have a horrible time running without blasting music and especially without other people. Tread Happy solves both of these problems while also pushing you to go as hard as you can. Sometimes running around Grounds just doesn’t cut it.

Here’s to the warm weather sticking around and a better spring than 2020 offered. Enjoy the sunny days ahead and may they be filled with good food, floral prints, and vaccinations. 

Madeleine McCollum is from Bethesda, Maryland, and is thrilled about continuing her career at Her Campus UVA. She is a member of UVA's Student Entrepreneurs for Economic Development (SEED) club where she volunteers as a consultant for non-profits in Charlottesville. She has also interned for Lerch, Early & Brewer Law firm and Compass realty, assisting with their marketing operations. As a second year at UVA, she is very excited to keep writing for Her Campus and reading her peers' articles. In her free time, Madeleine loves to get out into nature, travel, curl up with a book, and go for runs.
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!