Top 8 Habits to Break in Your 20’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

So, you’ve been on your own for at least a good two years now, no longer relying on your favorite adults – your parents. You thought they were so annoying for the 18 years that you lived with them, but now that independence has been forced upon you, you are less hesitant to admit that they mastered “adulting” pretty well. Technically, when you hit the big 2-0 and emerge out of the wicked “teen” years, you are considered a true adult – scary, I know. No worries, though! Here’s a list of the top 8 habits that you need to break ASAP to start your journey to become that calm, cool, collected (&successful) adult – make your parents proud:

1. You have far too many conversations via text

Yes, I understand your whole life is on your phone – emails, relaxing music, connections to the outside world, videos of puppies to brighten your day, etc. But, if you just look up (literally), you will see the whole world you’re missing out on by being glued to your screen. That might be a hard concept to implement, because actually 66% of people confess to having “nomophobia”: fear of being without your phone. So, take things slow at first – put your phone away when you’re eating or out with friends, set it down once you’ve been on it for 20 minutes at a time, and try not to look at it late at night (because I know we are all guilty of spending the hours between 11PM-1AM on social media). Plus, phone calls and in-person meetings are more personal and meaningful!

2. You’re chasing after unworthy guys

In the age of Tinder, this has become an issue we all know too well. Stop chasing after these guys – you know you both deserve better than that! Don’t feel inadequate just because you haven’t found “the one” yet, despite all of your friends in long term, practically-an-old-married-couple relationships. Don’t feel pressured by anyone (specifically the Thanksgiving family members) – just go out and have some fun! You shouldn’t be on a manhunt every time you step out of your apartment.

3. Cut down on the junk

Face-planting greasy food late at night (thank you Cookout) while doing work/studying isn’t the best option for your body. You feel pretty icky afterwards, and your skin will probably hate you the next morning. However, I know that processed food is everywhere in an environment filled with us 20 year olds – it is fast, convenient, and cheap! With that in mind, please don’t give up junk food completely. Similarly, don’t go breaking the bank spending your days at Whole Foods buying #glutenfree #vegan #nonGMO foods. You’ll go insane. Just cut back on the amount of processed food! Instead, use it as a reward for your hard work during the day or week – this will promote moderation.

4. Staying up late to watch TV/Netflix

Yeah…. We are all guilty of this. It just needs to end. Don’t show up to class/work tired in the morning – you won’t be able to concentrate or retain anything you’re being told. I know you’ve heard it time and time again, but a good night’s sleep is actually key to good health. Just catch the next episode of Grey’s whenever you have some downtime in-between study sessions – you don’t need to rewatch whole seasons.

5. Holding grudges for years

You feel bad for the people who have burnt you in the past, because you will forever give them a nasty side eye and plot ways to sabotage them. STOP. I understand it’s hard to get over the hurt from someone you used to trust, but holding onto the resentful feelings is actually negatively affecting you more emotionally than you think. Constantly thinking about how badly you were hurt causes you to unintentionally put yourself down in a rut. Instead, don’t waste your time thinking about people who hurt you – they aren’t worth your time. You are fabulous.

6. You see mental health issues as embarrassing or a sign of weakness

Transitioning into adulthood and accepting the responsibility and independence is not an easy feat, especially when you are also focused on surviving school (and just surviving in general). 1 in 5 adults experience some form of mental illness – including depression and anxiety linked disorders. Please know that it is normal. Let go of the shame that you may think comes with a mental illness, no matter how slight or severe. Don’t be afraid to reach out for help – especially if it is affecting how you function every day. People are more than willing to help you through tough times.

7. Reduce that caffeine intake

Honestly, that fifth cup of coffee was probably unnecessary. According to studies done, the average person doesn’t need more than one dose of caffeine per day. Caffeine, as we all know, is a stimulant – but such stimulation puts a strain on the heart to perform in overtime, functioning past its normal range. Not only is THAT in itself unhealthy in the long-run, but many times people put added sugar, cream, and syrups in their coffee – adding to the processed food that you should really save your body from consuming constantly. Again, moderation is key.

8. Own up to the mess & do the dishes

This is just basic etiquette and hygiene. Plus, I bet you’re tired of the dirty eye your roomies keep giving you for leaving your dirty dishes in the sink for days because you “forgot about them” or you’re “too busy with school to clean”. Cleaning should be just as high a priority as work – a cluttered house/apartment/area = a cluttered mind = you can’t focus on work. Just do the dishes (unless you want fun unwanted creature friends to appear).

Cassia Jbeili is a first year at the University of Virginia studying engineering. In her hometown in Houston, Texas, she had always wanted to start a blog-site just for girls to give advice or fun new ideas, so she is very excited to be working on the HerCampus team! In her spare time, when engineering workload is not taking over her life, she enjoys baking, participating in exercise classes, taking spontaneous road trips, and creating DIY crafts to decorate the dorm room with!
Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!