Life > Academics

Tips for Finding Joy During the Beginning of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The start of a new semester is both exciting and daunting—a new set of classes means adjusting to a new schedule, new professors, and new expectations for each of your courses. While the adjustment can initially feel overwhelming, here are a few tangible ways to lean further into the excitement that comes with embarking on a new semester.

1. Make a fresh background for your laptop.

We spend so much time on our laptops, so having a desktop background that you enjoy looking at is one way to make the process of studying and completing assignments more enjoyable. Before the start of each semester, I first browse Pinterest to pin images that would look good in a collage. You can approach this is a vision board for the semester or simply a collection of images that fit the energy you hope to cultivate this semester. I then upload my pins to Canva to make my collage that will become my desktop background.

1. Pick out a few outfits that make you feel confident.

One of my favorite parts about the beginning of the semester is that the true grind of the semester has not started. Without any papers or exams to worry about quite yet, you likely have a little extra time in the evenings. Use this time to pick out outfits that you are excited about the night before class—I know that having an outfit I feel comfortable and confident in makes going to class more enjoyable.

1. Remember that cold days are ideal for studying.

Getting back into the swing of due dates and readings after a gloriously long winter break is certainly not my favorite part of the semester, but the cold and dark winter days make studying feel extra cozy. Make a cup of coffee and wrap yourself in a cozy blanket and lean into the ideal study vibes of January’s low temperatures. Since I don’t want to be doing anything outside, I find studying feels better during the winter months—especially during the beginning of the semester.

1.  A fresh notebook or calendar can really change the game!

As a lover of school supplies, opening a fresh notebook on the first day of classes makes me feel truly alive. I add fun stickers to the front of the notebook to make it feel even more personal. A fresh calendar or planner can have a similar effect — hopefully encouraging you to organize your big deadlines for the semester, too. A little retail therapy in the form of a new notebook and pens can truly go a long way.

Good luck this semester!

-Elizabeth

Elizabeth Parsons is a staff writer at the University of Virginia’s HerCampus chapter. She joined the team during the 2022-2023 academic year. Elizabeth is from Virginia Beach, VA, where she has lived for her whole life. As a third-year student with a passion for reading and writing, she is studying both English and French. She is also the Senior Associate of The Cavalier Daily’s Life Desk, which focuses on content specific to student life at UVA — including features of student events and organizations, food-related articles, student columns, and top 10 lists. Beyond HerCampus, Elizabeth loves sipping oat milk lattes, strolling through bookstores, reading the latest issue of The New Yorker, playing Wordle, swimming, going to the beach, and watching reality TV— especially Below Deck Down Under. She is always looking for book recommendations, and she loves talking about her latest reads. After spending last summer in London, she is eager to return — and plans to move to London eventually. She is looking forward to another year with HerCampus and to sharing a mix of all her passions with readers. From the best lip gloss to her tips for studying abroad, Elizabeth is excited to share about all the things that matter to her.