Tips and Tricks to Help You Ace Your Online Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Whether you’ve had the coronavirus or not, it’s likely that you’ve experienced huge changes in your life due to the “unprecedented challenges” of this year. From being quarantined for months, wearing masks everywhere, and not being able to participate in your favorite activities, this year has been a struggle no doubt. And on top of that, for most people, classes are now online, a totally different school experience than we’re used to. While some may be flourishing under this new circumstance, I, along with most people I know, have been struggling with truly engaging with our online classes. Here is list of common problems students have been facing, and solutions to help you overcome them: 

I can’t seem to focus during class.

For me, this is probably the hardest thing about online classes. If you find yourself becoming distracted or spacing out during class, there are a few things you can do to help concentrate. First of all, try to eliminate your main distractions. Keep your phone off your desk if possible. Try to attend class in a generally quiet, less traveled area. Next, find ways to actively engage yourself during class. Quiz yourself on topics the professor is lecturing about, and write down any questions you have during the lecture. Writing notes on the lecture may also help you stay focused longer, instead of simply just listening to the lecture. Also, turn your camera on! I know you may look like you just rolled out of bed, but trust me, if you know others can see you, you’ll probably be less likely to look at your phone or do something else if everyone can see what you’re doing. Lastly, buy some peppermint candies or gum. Studies have shown that peppermint is thought to aid in focus and concentration in students. 

I want to create a study group and hangout with people in my class, but I don’t know anyone in my class and/or I’ve never met them in person.

The easiest way to solve this problem is to just ask! In college, especially for first year students, everyone is looking to meet new people and make new friends. Also, due to lockdowns in the spring and summer, students are eager to connect with people in general, whether it be old friends or completely new acquaintances. Although it may seem scary to ask someone you’ve never met to hang out and study, there is a strong likelihood they’ll say yes. Many online platforms like Zoom, Google Hangouts, and Microsoft Teams have private chat functions, where you can ask someone directly if they’d like to study or hang out. Study groups are a great way to make friends and study for upcoming exams, so the best advice is to just ask!

I just learn better in interpersonal, in-class situations.

Honestly, me too. There’s a reason classes were still held in person even after the advent of the internet. It’s easier to ask professors and classmates questions and stay focused on the content. My advice is to make online classes as similar to your in-class experiences as possible. If classes are recorded, but also held synchronously, try to attend class synchronously instead of waiting to watch the videos of class later. This way, you can still ask questions and make comments directly if you have them (rather than by email). Synchronous classes also offer a more similar environment to in-class learning than watching the recorded lecture videos at a later time. Also, ask if someone you know has the same class and class time as you, and suggest you watch the class together to more closely simulate an in-class learning experience. Lastly, although it may seem intimidating especially in large lecture classes, try to participate! Answer questions and ask questions if you have them. The more you participate, the less awkward and strange online classes will become. 

Everyone’s cheating on online exams. Maybe I should just cheat too.

The first thing I want to stress is do not cheat. Trust me, it’s not worth it to risk your academic future for a slightly better grade. Although it may seem tempting because no one is watching, it really isn’t worth the possibility of getting expelled for an honor code violation. Moreover, don’t assume everyone is cheating. Most students are honest and it’s dangerous to assume others are cheating unless you know for certain that they are. Speaking of which, if you have a strong cause to believe someone is cheating (e.g. you see them cheating or they tell you about it directly), it is your duty to speak up. Honor codes only work if everyone is willing to uphold the central principles of it. But more than anything, please just don’t cheat. 

I keep missing assignments because there are so many platforms on which schoolwork is assigned.

This one is a big one a lot of people have been struggling with (seriously, why can’t professors all just agree to use 1 or 2 platforms?). In order to keep track of all the online platforms you’re using this year, it’s best to just bookmark all of them and keep them together in a folder for easy access. This may seem annoying, but your best bet is, at the beginning of the day, to simply just go down the list of your platforms and write down all the assignments you have. I know this can be a lot to check (I have 15 platforms I check on a daily basis) but it’s better to check too often, than to not check often enough and miss assignments and easy points. 

Of course there are so many more issues students are facing this semester due to the coronavirus and online classes, but I hope this guide helped offer solutions to common problems you may be facing this year. And remember: even if you are struggling, this isn’t permanent. Hopefully, we’ll be back in classes in no time! 

Alexandra Holmes is a first-year at UVA on a pre-med track. She loves dogs, traveling, and spending too much money on books.
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!