This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

One of my favorite things to do with friends is thrift! Every thrifting experience is unique, and—most importantly—affordable. Sometimes you walk away with an endless number of great finds, and sometimes you end up leaving with nothing. Thrifting almost becomes a gamble, but here are some tips to step up your thrifting game for optimum success!

1. Find friends who enjoy thrifting

Thrifting has become one of my favorite things to do while hanging out with some like-minded friends. Finding friends who also enjoy thrifting is essential. You can ask them for advice and opinions on your finds, and vice versa. Someone who loves thrifting also knows how patient one must remain during the process, so it’s important to thrift with people who understand that!

Image credit: Pexels

2. Take your time

As I mentioned previously, thrifting requires patience. Thrifting requires sifting through almost every rack in search of a single item. Not all thrift stores are perfectly organized, so you never know what you might miss out on if you skip a rack, so take your time and look in every nook and cranny!

Image credit: Pexels

3. Don’t limit yourself to one section

Who says you have to stay in one section for the entire shopping experience? Thrifting is about being creative with the pieces you find, and you’re not going to find them in a single area of the store. Pro tip: the men’s section is almost always better than the women’s section. It’s GOLDEN. The men’s section tends to have dope tees and sweaters that you can alter at home! Don’t skip out on the accessories and belts either; you never know what you’re going to discover!

Image credit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/19779889@N00/42122014450

4. Keep an open mind

Keeping an open mind is one of the most important tips I’m going to discuss today. Thrifting can sometimes be overwhelming from the abundance of clothes, but just remember to keep an open mind, and try pieces on before making a final decision. Sometimes pieces can look horrible on the hanger, but look amazing once they’re on, and vice versa!

5. Imagine DIY-ing your finds

Creating a new vision for the pieces you find is one of my favorite parts about thrifting. There are endless possibilities, so you just have to get creative with the process! Always envision your pieces cropped or styled a certain way that can make bland pieces more trendy. One of my favorite trends at the moment is cropping a thrifted men’s tee and layering it over a turtleneck. It’s a look, trust me!

Image credit: Pexels

I hope these tips will ~elevate~ your next thrifting experience, and make it one full of dope finds and newfound inspiration and creativity!

Hello! I'm Dahlia Hamandi, and I'm a fourth year media studies major at the University of Virginia. Some of my hobbies and passions include fashion, photography, cinematography, and watching an excessive amount of YouTube!