Things To Do In Charlottesville in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The weather is getting cooler, the leaves are changing, and riding boots and hoodies are almost in full effect; that only means one thing, fall is right around the corner! But while the fall semester is in full swing and you might be swamped with homework and studying, there are a few great places and events in Charlottesville that are worth a study break.

Carter’s Mountain Orchard

I recommend you visit Carter’s Mountain Orchard this fall. Carter’s Mountain provides a unique experience that you, your friends, and family can enjoy by allowing visitors to go apple picking in their orchard. Not only are their apples cheap and tasty, but also the treats they serve in their main lodge are nothing short of amazing.

Be sure to try their warm apple cider, fresh donuts, and purchase a jar of delicious apple butter while you are up there; they are to die for. You can enjoy all of this while looking down on Charlottesville and its surrounding towns.

If you are heading that way during October they usually have pumpkins out as well, making the experience even more festive. But if you are looking to get out there on a specific day I recommend Thursday nights. They have live bands playing, fresh BBQ, and it is guaranteed to be a good time.

Humpback Mountain

While you can hike Humpback any time of year, the fall in particular is a great time to participate in a sunrise hike. Not only is it cooler outside, but also the sunrises in the fall are absolutely breath taking. On the plus side, the sun rises later in the fall, so you can sleep in a little but longer as opposed to waking up extra early in the Spring or Summer. Take some friends along; enjoy the crisp fall air and the beautiful scenery. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Trick-Or-Treating On The Lawn

You can’t help but smile when you see all the little kids dressed up and walking from door-to-door on the Lawn. Trick-or-treating on the Lawn is a great event to attend because it is one of the few events that allows the University of Virginia to collaborate with the Charlottesville community. No matter if you’re two or twenty-two, this event is a “must attend” on this year’s fall bucket list.

So when you are tired of studying or just looking for something to do with your friends on a fall weekend, stop by any of these events/places. I’m sure you will have a great time, and a fall semester worth remembering!

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!