Life > Experiences

The top five—from worst to best—places to have class as an English major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.
  1. John W. Warner Hall 

Coming in at the number one worst place to have class is John W. Warner Hall. Although it is home to the ROTC department, I almost always find my English major self having a minimum of one class here a semester. Please do not even ask me about the restroom situation, because it is abominable. Entering and exiting the lecture hall is an act of pure misery, full of too many bodies squeezing past each other in a hot and humid building. Have a class that starts right after your lecture? Chances are you won’t make it on time. Godspeed. 

1. Newcomb Hall Theatre 

I may be biased because the one class I had in the Newcomb Theatre was far from pleasant, but something about having a class in Newcomb does not sit well with me. For starters, the seats in the theatre don’t have desks like traditional lecture halls, so good luck furiously scribbling down your notes. Further, there is a distinct Newcomb Hall odor that is sure to make my stomach curdle. Perhaps it is the combination of Subway, Chick-Fil-A, Bento Sushi, and Ben & Jerry’s sending your nose into a state of sensory overload. Regardless of the culprit of the mysteriously repulsive smell, it is to put me in a bad mood before I even get to class. 

1. New Cabell Hall 

New Cabell finds itself in the middle of my list because I think it is neutral— it is difficult to despise it, but I don’t adore it either. The proximity to Rising Roll is convenient, and there are plenty of study rooms and benches to work while waiting for your class to start. However, New Cabell quickly feels steamy, especially during those warm spring days. I do spend a lot of time in this building, nevertheless, so I do owe it some gratitude. I especially enjoy sitting outside in the New Cabell courtyard. 

1. Bryan Hall

Bryan Hall is home to the English department, giving it an automatic boost on my rankings. I love the long hallways with the chalkboards full of messages and doodles—I could stare at these walls for hours. The only downside to Bryan Hall is that some of the classrooms lack windows, which in combination with a tight arrangement of chairs and strong fluorescent lighting, makes me feel sad. 

1. Nau Hall 

The combination of the Grit Coffee and the big, beautiful windows in Nau Hall make it a very difficult building to beat. Naturally, it finds itself on my list as the best place to have class. Plentiful restrooms, comfortable lecture halls, smaller classrooms, and plenty of places to work in-between classes—what more could I ask for? My first class ever at the University—a French class— was in Nau hall, so it will always have a special place in my heart. 

Elizabeth Parsons is a staff writer at the University of Virginia’s HerCampus chapter. She joined the team during the 2022-2023 academic year. Elizabeth is from Virginia Beach, VA, where she has lived for her whole life. As a third-year student with a passion for reading and writing, she is studying both English and French. She is also the Senior Associate of The Cavalier Daily’s Life Desk, which focuses on content specific to student life at UVA — including features of student events and organizations, food-related articles, student columns, and top 10 lists. Beyond HerCampus, Elizabeth loves sipping oat milk lattes, strolling through bookstores, reading the latest issue of The New Yorker, playing Wordle, swimming, going to the beach, and watching reality TV— especially Below Deck Down Under. She is always looking for book recommendations, and she loves talking about her latest reads. After spending last summer in London, she is eager to return — and plans to move to London eventually. She is looking forward to another year with HerCampus and to sharing a mix of all her passions with readers. From the best lip gloss to her tips for studying abroad, Elizabeth is excited to share about all the things that matter to her.