Wellness > Health

The Best “Treat Yourself” Meals and Snacks in Charlottesville

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As I begin my second year at the University of Virginia, I have realized the importance of finding areas of comfort in my everyday life here. One of my biggest areas of comfort and one of the best things Charlottesville does best is food. Here are my top picks for full meals, late-night cravings, or small treasures that I have discovered while attending UVa.

Bodo’s Bagels – Bagel Sandwich

If you go to the University, this first pick will not be a surprise. Some may even think it stereotypical. However, as a lover of plain bagels without cream cheese of any sort, I have been forced to find my own favorite and unique order at Bodo’s Bagels. My solution? A bagel sandwich.

My favorite bagel sandwich to get at Bodo’s is the Pastrami & Provolone on a Plain Bagel. The Bagel is toasted, and the cheese becomes melty, which compliments the Pastrami extremely well.

This meal is satisfying for my body and my mind, and I always look forward to it for a late Saturday brunch.

Vivace

I am a lover of any kind of Italian food. It is my ultimate, savory comfort food. Exam season ahead? Pasta. Long week? Garlic bread.

I discovered Vivace on an early birthday outing with my family. They were kind enough to come visit me and take me out to eat. The only parameter I gave them was, “Italian.”

As my family and I arrived at Vivace, the scene was beautiful. The restaurant is beautifully decorated, authentic, and in its own cozy corner of Charlottesville. The “small” aspect of the restaurant makes the meal that much more homey.

In terms of the menu, they have some of the most unique pasta dishes that I have seen. Definitely not *fully* Americanized. However, of course, I had to get my comfort meal: Shrimp Alfredo. The seafood was fresh and generous, and the sauce was light and delicious. I even got a spicy shrimp pasta dish to take away.

Besides the main courses, they have a beautiful dessert selection. It is small, but it is mighty. I got the blood orange sorbet, and it was wonderful. It truly balanced out my dinner and gave me the satisfaction of a sweet treat after a large meal. What girl doesn’t have room for a sweet treat after a meal?

Insomnia Cookies – Ice Cream on a Cookie

If you know me, you know that my reward to myself after anything – an exam, a long week, or a night in bed binge-watching – is a pint of ice cream. However, I have found my absolute favorite substitute for a pint of ice cream when I cannot get my hands on the flavor I want: Ice Cream on a Cookie from Insomnia Cookies. More specifically, Ice Cream on a Deluxe Cookie.

I have perfected my order from Insomnia. I get the Deluxe Confetti Cookie (a sugar cookie with white chocolate chips and sprinkles baked in) with two scoops of cookie dough ice cream on top. I get three when I am feeling extra stressed. The result? A perfectly warm cookie with a crunchy exterior and a soft interior topped with a rich, comforting ice cream. My friends even love it. Expect a few bites to be stolen.

Trader Joe’s Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies

Now, this is definitely an honorary mention. Technically, this is nowhere near being a full meal. However, I have made them a meal once or twice.

These sandwich cookies are the most perfect embodiment of the cheer and comfort of the holidays. The gingerbread cookies are insanely soft, topped with the nicest, course sugar crystals. The frosting sandwiched between is just as good, and it is totally elevated with the spice of the cookie. I find myself craving these constantly.

The only downside? They are only available around the holidays.

Conclusion

The items I have mentioned above definitely provide new obsessions for those of us who love carbs, ice cream, and hyperfixations. There are definitely awesome, healthy choices around grounds and around Charlottesville. However, with exam season in full effect, and the semester past the point of return, we all need a good snack/meal (or plans for future snacks and meals) to comfort us in times of stress. Remember to nourish your body and find a healthy balance!

Gracie Firgau is on the writing team at the Her Campus at The University of Virginia chapter. Beyond Her Campus, Gracie studies Pre-Commerce and German at the Univerity of Virginia. She is a second year interested in Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Information Technology. Gracie has also done research on topics such as Video Game Preference and Sensorimotor Skill Maturity Compared to Age and Ultraviolet Radiation’s Effect on Drying Duration of Automotive Paints with Resin Filming Agents. She has interned for the Nau Center at UVA on the Letters Home Project, worked with her professor in the History Department on transcriptions of documents from the 1800s, and interned for Galax City Public Schools in Information Technology. In her free time, Gracie enjoys weightlifting, cooking and baking new recipes, and experimenting with new fashion and beauty. She is also involved in Chi Alpha at the University of Virginia and is always searching for new areas to explore her passions while also building new relationships.