Thank You, Mary Tyler Moore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Mary Tyler Moore is renowned as one of the most influential women in television history. Born in 1936, her first television appearance was in 1952 as a dancing elf in commercials for Hotpoint appliances. She would go on to become a feminist pioneer, spending her long and decorated career setting a new standard for women both in the industry and across America.

Moore’s career was defined by her willingness to push boundaries. In an iconic moment in the 60s, Moore became the first woman to wear pants on a sitcom in the Dick Van Dyke Show. She told TVGuide that she pushed for pants because she felt that it was a more accurate reflection of what off-screen women wore. Despite the initial hesitation from CBS producers, the updated wardrobe turned out to be a huge success. 

It would be roughly another decade before she would pitch her idea for the Mary Tyler Moore Show. Moore’s character, Mary Richards, was the star of the show and one of the most independent women that TV had ever seen. Single and employed full-time, Richards was a unique character in that she didn’t exist opposite a man. The character was also groundbreaking in that she was funny; it was unusual at the time for women to provide substantial comic relief on television, especially if their jokes didn’t have to do with their roles as wives. The show made history by tackling societal issues that were previously considered totally taboo for TV, such as birth control and sex. In one episode, Richards sits down with her boss to demand equal pay to her male predecessor. In addition to its remarkable progressiveness, the Mary Tyler Moore Show is celebrated for the high bar it set for program quality.

Moore’s film and television career continued all the way until 2013. Throughout her years, she worked hard to challenge gender roles and the societal limitations placed on women. So the next time you apply for a job or pull on a pair of truly great pants, thank Mary Tyler Moore for paving the way.