Ten Places Dates Want You To Take Them For Valentine’s Day in Charlottesville But Just Won’t Admit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

1. St. Maarten’s Café

A classic, mainstay on the Corner, St. Maarten’s Café is one of those places that will always be around, just like you will always be around for the lucky person in YOUR life. So, show someone you care this Valentine’s Day season and take them to Town and Country’s #1 ranked “Most Romantic Bar/Restaurant/Establishment/We’re-Not-Really-Sure” in Virginia.

2. Teresa Sullivan’s backyard

Forgot to pick up roses? Who cares! I once heard Teresa Sullivan say that she is sick and tired of looking at the beautiful blossoms in her backyard, so student-self-govern some of those devilishly handsome roses to your crush’s bedside table.

3. The Newcomb Game Room

Nothing says “I love you” quite like the sounds of air hockey pucks crushing people’s knuckles or an out-of-hand game of Settlers of Catan. Show your significant other that you really aren’t ~playing~ when it comes to romance, and treat them to a nice night in the Newcomb Game Room. Seats go quickly since they don’t take reservations, so remember to get there at 11 AM to stake out the best table!

4. Alderman Stacks

Great music, uplifting vibes, and a plethora of BOOKS (!!!) to explore, Alderman Stacks offers everything in terms of romantic lighting, ambient noise, and economic sensibleness.

5. The AFC Hot Tub

Show off those tan lines and your summer bod in the biggest hot tub on the East Coast! They clean it everyday – they swear! If you’re lucky, you just might see that random person you made out with in Trinity that one time, and you can unsuccessfully pretend not to be evaluating their elliptical form.

6. The Bookstore’s Book Buy-Back Event in May!

Concerned about money? Keep your date inexpensive, anticipation-laden, and sexually tenuous by taking that someone special to the bookstore’s book buy-back event in May! Worried they might think you’re dishonest? Reassure them that no one can be more dishonest and cheap than the bookstore itself by treating them to $13 on their $250 psychology textbook!

7. The Cemetery Behind Old Dorms

Remind that special someone in your life that time is limited by celebrating the big Feb14 in that creepy cemetery behind Old Dorms! Not only is it a great place for a picnic, it is also a great place to rob cadavers for medical school trials, just as it has been since in the mid 19th century!

8. The Sigma Phi Epsilon Basement

Tall, dark, and mysterious – everyone’s dream partner. Show your boo that it’s what’s on the inside that counts by spending a romantic night in the SPE basement (You know, that house on Mad Bowl with the #hipster scaffolding and decaying roof). Nothing adds a little character to a date quite like avoiding shattered bottles and other unidentifiable items in a condemned property! You can also count on getting a well-lit, aesthetically pleasing Instagram post out of the endeavor.

9. The Train Tracks on a Tuesday Night

The danger. The risk. The intrigue. Nothing says “I’m willing to risk my life for you in a very physical way by getting hit by a train” quite like risking your life in a very physical way by getting hit by a train (or cited by the Charlottesville Police).

10. That Really Huge Hill That Gives Observatory Hill Its Name

So you don’t like the whole idea of sitting down for an intimate dinner and having the luxury of really getting to talk to each other? Me neither! Still want to take their breath away? Same here! Kill two birds and four ankles with one stone by taking your future life partner on a relaxing sprint up the hill behind OHill. Not only will they be out of breath for the majority of the ~romantic escape~, but they’ll also appreciate you for calling an Uber when they collapse at the top.

Here’s to all the “hearts all over the world tonight” as Chris Brown would say.

Feature Photo Courtesy of the University of Virginia

Just your average UVA third year with a passion for dank brunches, niche Spotify playlists, and people who know the difference between "fewer" and "less."