Tanning Myths Revealed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Growing up in South Carolina, I have had what many would call somewhat of an obsession with being tan. Throughout my youth I have ignored the multiple warnings that tanning can cause wrinkles, skin spots, premature aging and let’s not forget about the big “C” word, cancer. However, as I am about to enter into my twenties, I have returned back to my parents’, and furthermore society’s constant and sometimes annoying pleas for me to stay out of the sun. As a result of my recent motive to stay away from the sun, I have decided to uncover the myths about tanning, and reveal the truth.

Myth One: I can tan because I am young. I only have to start watching how much sun I get once I am older.
Not only is tanning, indoors or outdoors, generally bad, it is even worse for teens as our bodies are undergoing accelerated cell growth rates. As teens, our bodies are more prone to the dangers of UV radiation.

Myth Two: I cannot get a tan if I wear sun block.
            You can absolutely get a suntan using sun block, just without the burn. Although it may take a little longer to get some color on your skin, if you must be in the sun, using a UVA/UVB sun block is the best way to go. Also the moisture in the sun block helps to keep your tan longer.

Myth Three: UVB rays are the only bad rays, therefore I can tan in UVA only beds.
            Both UVB and UVA rays can cause cancer. Although many tanning beds advertise “bronzing beds” that only contain UVA rays, claiming that they will reduce the risk of getting burned, you can still get harmful rays from UVA radiation. A recent study done in Australia has even proven the UVA rays can be more detrimental and cancerous than UVB rays.

Myth Four: If I do not get burned, then tanning is not bad for me.
            I must admit, I use this myth the most in my defense for loving the sun. However, this could not be more far from the truth.  Although the immediate effects of tanning may not be as visible in someone who does not burn easily, the long-term effects are the same. Despite one’s complexion, tanning is in no way shape or form safe.

So what if you still want to be tan? Let’s face it, unless you have flawless, ivory skin like Nicole Kidman, having a little color on your skin does give a natural, healthy looking glow. The good news is that you can achieve a healthy, natural, and SAFE color without the harmful effects of indoor and outdoor tanning. I have put together a list of my favorite, tried, and true products.

1. Dove Energy Glow Natural Moisturizer – The best bang for your buck. The Dove moisturizer is great for those who want to build a gradual tan and may be too afraid to immediately try a true self-tanner. Dove Energy Glow also leaves the body with a gloss of shimmer. 

2.  Bobbi Brown Illuminating Bronzing Powder– This is my absolute makeup must have.  The illuminating powder, which contains a little bit of shimmering dust brightens up the face, helps conceal flaws, and most importantly gives your face that desired sun-kissed glow. I dust the powder slightly beyond my cheekbone so that a line is not visible. This helps the powder to look more natural. 

3.  Clarins ‘Delicious’ Self-Tanning Cream– Although this is the most expensive product on my list of favorites, at around $40, it truly is magical. The cream is even tinted and shows color automatically so that you can achieve an even caramel color. It is also incredibly nourishes the skin and the color develops almost instantly. 

4.  Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sunless Tanner– MUST HAVE! It truly is remarkable, and I buy it in bulk. The natural, 100% vegetarian, product goes on smoothly and leaves skin feeling incredibly soft and beyond moisturized. The best part of this product is that it works great on your face as well. It is also incredibly reasonable at $10. You can find it at health food stores as well as online. It truly is the best product, I have ever tried, and trust me I have tried pretty much every product out there.