This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As Thanksgiving is right around the corner, I wanted to take a moment to really recognize all the blessings and privileges that I have and that you may have as well. I think it’s important to point out how people all around the world are going through different things and are in different situations from us. I think everyone reading this should be aware of what is happening to Palestine right now and even though this isn’t anything new as I’ve grown up hearing about what my family back home is going through and losing people due to it, I can’t help but constantly think about my people during this time because it absolutely destroys me every time I listen to the news, especially since it isn’t getting any better and no one is helping us.

If you aren’t aware of what is happening in Palestine right now, I completely encourage you to get educated right away, it is as simple as reading one article, just make sure your sources aren’t feeding you improper information.

I am devasted because people in Palestine are going to bed without knowing if they will wake up the next morning, people in Palestine are being starved, families in Palestine are being wiped out of existence completely, people in Palestine haven’t been able to find their missing loved ones, people in Palestine are being cut off from contacting anyone for help, cities in Palestine are just full of rubble and nothing else, people in Palestine seeking shelter end up getting bombed, people in Palestine walk by hundreds of dead bodies being eaten by dogs, people in Palestine see blood more than they see water, and the list goes on forever.

With this reminder, I want to take a step back and share some of the blessings and privileges we often take for granted.

I am thankful to have a home to go back to, I’m thankful to have food to eat, I’m thankful to have safe water to drink, I am thankful to have my family and my friends, I’m thankful to have access to proper education, I’m grateful to have opportunities presented to me all around me, I am thankful to be healthy and be in one piece, I’m thankful to be able to be comfortable, I’m thankful to be able to make choices for myself, I am thankful to live in a safe community, I am thankful to have access to technology and contacts, I’m thankful for the resources I have available to me, I’m thankful for the opportunity to pursue a career that I want, I’m thankful for my Arabic culture and heritage, I’m thankful for every new day that I get to be here, I’m thankful to have the rights and freedoms that I do, I’m thankful to have the support I have, I am thankful for any moment that brings a smile or a laugh out, I’m thankful for my growth, I’m thankful for my experiences and memories, I am grateful that I can have a say in what I want to do when I want to do it, I’m thankful for the stability that I have, I’m thankful for all the people that are placed into my life, I’m thankful for the second chances I’ve gotten, I’m thankful for the acceptances I’ve gotten, I’m thankful for the chance to work/have a job, I’m thankful for the nature around me, I’m thankful to be able to sleep peacefully, I’m thankful to have clean air, I’m thankful to be able to travel if I please, I’m thankful for all the forgiveness I’ve been given, I am thankful to have good clothes and be able to pick between them, I’m thankful for my mentors, I’m thankful for the kindness I receive, I’m thankful to have shelter when it is too cold to be outside, I’m thankful to have modes of transportation when the route is unwalkable, and I am thankful to have the ability to self-express.

This list can also go on and on forever because we truly do not understand how many things we can be thankful for. Sometimes it takes a change of perspective or a new experience to realize your blessings but I encourage you to take a moment to think and recognize the things that you take for granted or that go unnoticed. However, I’ll stop here to give you a chance to reflect on what you are thankful for as well. I hope some of the things I listed inspired something in you that you are thankful for or made you think about what you already have that you appreciate. Feel free to personalize this however you need but thank you for taking this moment with me.

So now my question is, what does your list look like?

Hi! My name is Roba Metwally and I am a third year student at the University of Virginia. I am on a Pre-Law path, therefore, I am majoring in Political Philosophy, Policy, and Law and minoring in Public Policy and Leadership in the Frank Batten School at UVA. I want to go into criminal law by helping the wrongfully convicted and eventually having my own firm. Outside of her campus, I am a Co-director of Student Legal Services under Student Council, a Resident Advisor for UVA housing and residence life, a member of SWAP@UVA and a member of the Egyptian Student Association. I am from Fairfax Station, Virginia but I have lived in Canada and England. I'm Egyptian and Palestinian. I speak Arabic and a little French. I love traveling and just recently did a study abroad program in Morocco for 2 months. I am the youngest daughter, a night owl, and I love cats!