Sydney Shavers ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Sydney Shavers

Year: 2nd

Major: Pre-Commerce/Economics

Hometown: Richmond, Virginia

What organizations are you involved with around grounds?

I am the Program Coordinator for the Executive Board of the Black Leadership Institute, involved in Black Commerce Student Network, University Dance Club, Smart Women Securities, Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor Fraternity, Madison House volunteering, Catholic Student Ministries, and the Outreach Team for the Office of Admissions.

What are you most looking forward to about this year?

I am looking forward to Lighting of the Lawn. It is my favorite UVA tradition because the lights are gorgeous and it is one of the few times that the UVA community comes together in one place. I’m also looking forward to meeting new people and making strong friendships.

What has been your most interesting and/or rewarding experience at UVA so far?

Tutoring students through Madison House volunteering has definitely been my most rewarding experience at UVA. I started during first semester, first year and I have loved the impact that I’ve had on the students ever since. Plus, I get to work with people from the greater Charlottesville community, which is also fun and exciting.

If you were to study abroad for a semester and you had the opportunity to go ANYWHERE, what destination would you choose and why?

I’m actually studying abroad this January-term in St. Kitts and Nevis. I’m excited to learn about emergency health preparedness, experience the culture, and gain international experience.

Favorite season?

Oh, that’s easy! Fall is my favorite season because of my birthday, the cute clothes, and the perfect weather!

What’s something people don’t know about you?

My Bahamian ancestors helped establish Bahama Village neighborhood in Key West, Florida in the 1800’s. We even have a street named after our family. 

Name one thing you can’t live without.

I can’t live without kettle popcorn. Anyone who knows me knows that I can’t leave a UVA football game without grabbing some. It’s my absolute FAVORITE food!

If you could go back to first year and do any one thing differently, what would you change?

Nothing! My first year was phenomenal!

Hey, I'm Jordan! I'm a second year majoring in International Relations and Women, Gender & Sexuality. Here's my life in a nutshell: Feisty Feminist. Big hair enthusiast. Professional online shopper. Admirer of all things French. Overwhelmingly sarcastic. Lover of small animals.
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!