Standing Out at the Career Fair: Tips for Getting the Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

The end of the summer left me itching to get back to good ole Cville for my fourth and final year at UVa. Excitement was running high to reunite with friends, grab a burger at Boylan, and to return to the shenanigans of collegiate life in the great company of Mr. Jefferson. But after the honeymoon stage blew over, I found myself in a panic when a customer at my restaurant asked me: so what will you do after you graduate?

The job search season is definitely a stressful one filled with frustration with cavlink, pressure to perform during social events with employers and devastation when you don’t hear back from a dream company. However, UVa offers tons of recruiting events, career fairs and resources to give us the best shot at striking it big in the real world. The past few weeks I’ve jumped head first into the crazy process. Here are some tips I’ve found useful to remember and consider:

1. Know your resume
It sounds really straight forward, but it is also really important. Not only do you need to know the content of your resume, but make sure you are prepared to talk in depth about it. Have an answer ready for the “tell me more” question.

2. Get your elevator pitch down pat.
It may seem simple to talk or introduce yourself, but make sure you can do it effectively in 45 seconds or less. Not only is it key to breaking the ice at a career fair, but you never know who you will run into and where you will run into them. A friend of mine at Duke once made the connection that got her an internship while she was in line at Chipotle. Small world huh?

3. Be genuine and passionate so that you’re memorable
At large events such as career fairs, employers and recruiters talk to literally hundreds of applicants. And when they are all incredibly qualified, like the population here at UVa, you have got to stand out. Humans recognize, appreciate and remember genuine interactions. Talk about things on your resume that energizes you. Do your research to ask meaningful questions and get them talking about why they love their jobs. People love to talk about themselves, so get them both talking and actively listening to you to establish a connection with them and they’ll be sure to remember your name during application review.

4. Dress appropriately
This may seem obvious, but I saw with my own two eyes someone in tee shirt at the Commerce Career Fair at JPJ this past week. Professional attire is expensive, but it is also a crucial investment. However, it is not impossible to still snag a good deal. Last week, Banana Republic had a sale for 40 percent off all suiting. Tack on your 15 percent student discount and you’re looking at a 200 dollar blazer for half the price. Black Friday is also right around the corner, so be sure to look around for deals then as well.

5. Get up to date
Stay informed with the news, and specifically the news about the company in which you’re interested. It may not be a bad idea to get a subscription to the Wall Street Journal and start regularly searching around on Yahoo finance. The Wall Street Journal has discounts for students and even gives you entrance into their young professionals network. To get the inside scoop on employers, check out glassdoor.com for reviews from employees and salary ranges.

6. Stay organized
At a large event, like a career fair, it is hard to stay organized with all the pens, info flyers, and goodies employers are throwing at you. However, the most important little gift to keep track of is the business card. Without the business card, it may be difficult to find contact information to follow up with recruiters. I have personally had success with using a portfolio. It has extra paper, room to keep my resumes in order, extra pen space and most importantly, a slot to hold tons of business cards. They’re a little bit pricey, but definitely a good investment. Check out the bookstore or an office supply store like Staples for some options.

7. Spark up that confidence
Confidence really is key. Employers want to hire people who are comfortable in their own skin, who are proud of themselves and will therefore be proud of their company. Coming from UVa, it’s no doubt that you’ve got it, that you’re the whole package, so be sure to flaunt it!

8. Cavlink is your friend, not your enemy.
It is much easier to land an interview for a job by making a connection with a recruiter than it is to go on their website and submit your application amidst the thousands from all over the country. Employers want UVa students and are here recruiting us! So use the cavlink calendar to take advantage of information sessions and meet and greets and to stay on top of application deadlines. Optimize your search criteria and utilize the information cavlink provides for you. If you have any questions, UCS is more than happy to help you navigate through the process.

As stressful as the job hunt can be, it is also an exciting process! This is the beginning of the next chapter of our lives. Don’t be discouraged if every interview and employer interaction isn’t perfect. Thomas Jefferson and his University have without a doubt prepared us well, so just remember to stay professional and to be yourself and you’ll be just fine.