Spring Survival Kit Review!

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

If you happened to tune into our Facebook Live last night, you’ll know all about this survival kit adventure. Her Campus sent us SO MUCH COOL STUFF to test out for y’all! Of course, we’ll be doing giveaways all week so that we can stop having boxes of sample-sized beauty products in our apartments, and you can have these great products!

Alba Bontanica®  Hawaiian Sunscreen

Things I liked:

THE SMELL!! It’s naturally scented with green tea extract, which I absolutely love because I have super sensitive skin and this didn’t irritate it at all.

Things I didn’t like: I’m not picky enough to have sunscreen standards (except for the “please don’t give me hives” part)

L’oreal Sublime Bronze Towelettes

THIS WAS SUCH A WILD ADVENTURE. So last night, for the Facebook Live, I was trying all of the products. These wipes are kinda weird in that when you take them out of the package, they look like straight up, normal makeup wipes. I was confused because as I rubbed them on my forearms (my ~swatch~ area), nothing was happening. Then I read the box and it says that a tan will appear in 2 to 4 hours…. It did. I went to bed almost right after the FB Live (because I’m a tired grandma, OKAY?) so I never saw the tanning result until I woke up. My forearms look like they spent the last two weeks in Cabo, but also that I eat too many carrots. I’m tan and a little orange. I don’t know if it’s orange because I put on too much or if it’s just orange. Either way, it’s not a cute look and I’ll be wearing long sleeves until it goes away. But…. this is more user error than a problem with the product.

Things I liked: No hives

Things I didn’t like: Besides for the fact that I look ridiculous, it was kinda sticky.

Krazy Glue

Not gonna lie, when I was going through the survival kit and I saw Krazy Glue, I was a little unimpressed. My first thought was, “Uh…. this is low key lame.” But then I remembered that this is called a “survival kit,” and tbh, Krazy Glue is a college necessity. I break things all the time (because I’m incapable of being a normal human) and Krazy Glue is my savior. I’m so psyched to have more glue in my possession. I am the glue queen. Actually, the Krazy Glue made me feel like a frickin’ shoe cobbler, like the family from Coco, because I fixed not one, but TWO of my roommate’s broken shoes.

Things I liked: Uh, duh, it fixes everything. Also, I didn’t glue my fingers together for once.

Things I didn’t like: I wish that we were given more than just single use sizes… because I want more glue.

Bed Head SuperStar “Queen for a Day” Thickening Spray

This product is not for me. When I saw it, I was like “welp, never gonna use this.” Why? Not because I don’t love Bed Head (because I do), but because MY HAIR IS ALREADY SO THICK. But…. because I am faithful to the Her Campus readers…. I tried it out. And I’m never using it again…because it works so well. My hair doesn’t need to be any more voluminous or thick than it already is and this spray really does the job. This picture is after me vigorously trying to brush out some of the spray because my hair was wild, and I still have what my dad calls “everywhere hair.” But if you have thin hair and you’re looking for a boost, this is definitely the product for you.

Things I liked: It didn’t weigh down my hair, just made it even bigger.

Things I didn’t like: Just look at the picture again and tell me that my hair doesn’t look like a triangle.

Bed Head Get Twisted Anti-Frizz Finishing Spray

On the other hand, I’M OBSESSED WITH THIS PRODUCT. Like you probably noticed in the last product, my hair is quite puffy, and frizzy just comes with the territory. I don’t have a picture of myself using this product (because my hair already had a ton of thickening spray in it when I was taking these pictures), but I’ve been using when my hair is wet after a shower and letting it air dry, and my hair hasn’t been frizzy at all. AND IT’S BEEN SNOW/RAIN/SLEETING ALL DAY. Also, my roommate has *extremely* curly hair and she likes it too. She’s been looking for an anti-frizz spray that actually works for literally the whole year and this one seems to be doing the job.

Things I liked: All of it

Things I didn’t like: That this is just now in my life.

Buxom Va Va Plump Lipstick

I’m not a lipstick person, but I think I like this lipstick. It’s a liquid lipstick that’s supposed to be shiny, glossy, but with an opaque color and staying power. I think it lives up to everything it says it is, except for the last one. When I wear it, it kind of frays around the edges of my lips and comes off immediately when I drink from a straw/cup/water bottle. But, as far as lipstick goes, I think it looks pretty good. It’s also a lip plumper, and while I don’t really pay attention to the volume of my lips, I would say that the minty, tingly feeling it leaves is pretty nice.

Things I liked: Color, application, tingles.

Things I didn’t like: It’s slippery slidey on my face.

Almay Shadow Squad™

While I don’t really like lipsticks, I LOVE EYESHADOW!!! I was extra excited to try these because I’ve never used an Almay product before. I really liked these shadow squads; I’m totally obsessed with the monochromatic eye looks. Each palette comes with four finishes of the same color: matte, satin, metallic, and glitter. We have so many different shades that they sent us, but I swatched “Never Settle,” “Thrill Seeker,” and “Here Goes Nothing,” from top to bottom (and yes, that’s my tanned arm). I loved Never Settle and Thrill Seeker, but Here Goes Nothing took a ton of product to get any sort of pigment. On the other hand, Thrill Seeker is super pigmented and I love it. I will definitely be using these in the near future. They remind me of the NYX Ultimate Finish Shadow Palette.

Things I liked: The colors and the silky texture.

Things I didn’t like: Inconsistency with pigmentation.

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!