This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Spring Break and the beach go hand-in-hand. However, going to the beach for is not for everyone, or in everyone’s budget. For those who want to step outside the Spring Break box, here are six ideas of what to do during break that don’t involve heading to the beach.

1. Road trip to a new city

Spring Break is a great opportunity to create new experiences and see sites and cities you have never before visited. Take a road trip to New York City to see the Statue of Liberty, Nashville for the Grand Ole Opry, rent a bike and ride through D.C., or Charleston to see Rainbow Row. Use your break to see some of the greatest sites America has to offer.

2. Attend a festival

With the coming of spring, festivals are in full bloom in March. There is music festivals like INCEPTION MUSIC FEST in Cancun; SXSW in Austin, TX; and Never Say Never Fest in Mission, TX. Other types of festivals include the Washington, DC Saint Patrick’s Day ParadeWORLD STAGES: International Theater Festival, and Hilton Head Island Wine and Food Festival. Most cities will hold some type of festival in mid-March.

3. Go Skiing

It may be Spring Break, but it is still winter, so spend the last week of winter skiing. Some of the most popular ski destinations are Wintergreen ResortSnowshoe Mountain Ski Resort, and Massanutten Ski Resort—all in Virginia or at least in driving distance.

4. Volunteer with Alternative Spring Break

UVA plans student volunteer work for areas in need domestically and internationally through the Alternative Spring Break program.  While it is too late to join in the international projects, there are still several domestic, cost-friendly projects to volunteer with. There is a program in Savannah, GA working with Ronald McDonald House; ones dealing with environmental conservation in Mammoth, KY or Shenandoah, VA; and a program that takes volunteers on a road trip across VA involving a wide range of volunteer activities.

5. Go hiking

Enjoy the spring weather by spending time outdoors and taking in spring scenery at Old Rag Mountain, Bears Den Trail, Crabtree Falls, and Humpback Rock, and the Appalachian Trail which extends all the way from Georgia to Maine. 

6. Relax! 

You have a whole week off from exams, reading, and papers, so take the time to catch up on some much needed sleep and TLC. Binge-watch Netflix, catch up on some reading, and enjoy your week off!

Hi, I'm Allyson! I am a Chapter Advisor for Her Campus as well as a contributor for the University of Virginia chapter. I'm currently a 4th year at UVA and majoring in English.
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!