Spring Break is Not a Competition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

suitcase with clothes
STIL

It has definitely gotten to that point in the semester: everybody is swamped with midterms and projects, nobody is sleeping, and anything with caffeine is the preferred drink of choice. Clearly, we could all use a break, and luckily our BFF spring break is just about two weeks away. I’m definitely not complaining! But, as spring break inches closer, the all-too familiar question keeps popping up: “What are you doing for spring break?” 

At first, it seems like a harmless question, and I definitely don’t think most people who ask it have any bad intentions. However, I think we’ve all been in that place where we feel a little… less-than if all we have to respond with is: “Nothing special.” Especially when the person you’re asking says “Costa Rica,” or something exotic like that. It all comes down to a competitive culture that exists especially here at UVA. We want to have the best grades, have the most friends, and of course, have the most extravagant break plans. While this can motivate us to try harder in our classes and be more outgoing with new people, it can also make us feel inferior to others. 

bus on the beach
Nubia Navarro

I’m here to tell you that is bullsh*t! It doesn’t matter whether you have “cool” plans for break, or if you just want to catch up on sleep all week long. We’re in college for Pete’s sake, maybe you just need to save your money! Even if that’s not the case, you’re not obligated to explain yourself.

Nothing about a fancy trip makes a person more or less superior to you. It can be easy to say this and not feel it, for sure. But keep in mind that most people probably won’t even remember what you said you were doing for spring break, and if they do, they won’t judge you for not going to Disney World or to the Bahamas if they’re the good kind of person. All that is important for break is that you enjoy yourself, get some rest, and most importantly, something we don’t often do here at UVA… RELAX!!

girl reading a book
Daria Shevtsova

Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!