Spring Ahead on Spring Formal Dresses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Spring has sprung, and love is in the air…or something like it. Whether it’s love or a fleeting crush, all collegiettes can agree that any blossoming romance should come with an added bonus: a spring formal invite!

With the flurry of invitations that is sure to be heading your way (*hint hint*), the dress situation can cause problems. On a college budget, buying new dresses for every formal occasion is out of the question, but at the same time, no one wants to be caught repeating last year’s look (“Didn’t she wear that to PIKA Christmas formal?” you can hear them snicker). So, what’s a girl to do? Look no further than Rent the Runway, a godsend for fashionable formal-goers.

Rent the Runway is an online company that allows you to rent entire outfits – dress, handbag and accessories—for fractions of the original retail cost. You can also purchase on the website your shoes and beauty products.  You choose the date you want the dress to arrive on their convenient calendar, get next day shipping, keep the clothes for 4-8 days and then ship them back! The concept is absolutely perfect for formals. Think about how many uses you really got out of that BCBG dress. Maybe 2? Rent the Runway offers a new way of getting designer dresses for a much better bargain. If you’re concerned that the dress you ordered won’t fit you, don’t be! Rent the Runway allows you to order a second size for free, so you can try it on at home in your personal dressing room.

Here are some different potential looks:

Romantic & Sweet:

Lilly Pulitzer Celina Scallop Dress
Retail: $348
Rental: $65

[pagebreak]

Elegant & Refined:

Trina Turk Champagne Waterfall Dress
Retail: $298
Rental: $65

[pagebreak]

Fun & Sexy:

Hervé Léger Ashley Bandage Dress
Retail: $1350
Rental: $150 (a $1200 value!)

[pagebreak]

Bold & Edgy:

Shoshanna Acacia Flames Dress
Retail: $375
Rental: $65

These are just a few of many options on their website, http://www.renttherunway.com.

UVA even has its own special promo code – type in UVAFREEDRESS through 6/1 for a complimentary second style, minimum order value $75.

Get shopping!