Social Media You Should Have in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

As the use of social media has continued to encompass our social lives in the 21st century, it has also begun to infiltrate professional avenues as well. Social media is no longer just a way to connect with friends, it has become a way to market yourself, gain information, and make connections in a quick and efficient way. Here are the 3 social media sites every college girl should have, and why!

1. Linkedin

Although there is a common misconception that you do not need a Linkedin account until you have a serious internship or job, this is not true. Through Linkedin, you can expand your network and make connections, especially with people that may help you in the future. For example, if you are applying for a job at a certain company and know someone on Linkedin that once worked there, you can ask them for assistance and advice on obtaining the position. Linkedin also suggests job positions and groups for you to join, based on your interests. This is great for the college student unsure of where to start. Linkedin can also help your resume and show you which things to highlight that you may not be aware of, as it has a template for your education, interests, association, awards and more!

2.  Twitter

Having a Twitter account is the quickest way to get information, and more importantly, abbreviated information. Let’s face it, we do not always have time to read full newspaper articles, but most of us can read the short blurbs on Twitter. Also following sites that you are interested in working for one day can give you a daily briefing to keep up with the what the company is doing and their current goals. 

3.  Personal Blog

A personal blog is the best way to show your own personal interest, style, taste, and personality. More importantly, a blog teaches you how to build a site completely from scratch, and can show companies that one day you can do that for them as well. Also, if you have to have a phone or Skype interview instead of an in-person interview, a personal blog can help a future company understand you better.