Six Reasons That Your College Friends Are Your Family-Away-From-Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

1. They support you. Whether it’s sharing your philanthropy event on Facebook, making customized t-shirts to cheer you on at your volleyball tournament, or reassuring you that that third coffee of the day is totally necessary, your friends support everything that you do. It’s way easier to try new things and to be yourself knowing that your friends have your back.

2. They take care of you when you’re sick. It’s the easiest to feel homesick when you’ve caught the flu and want nothing more than to be in your big bed at home, eating soup your mom brought you and not worrying about all the classes you’re missing. You know your weirdos care about you when they take the time out of their busy schedules to make sure you’re doing okay. 

3. They help you make scary life choices. College sometimes feels way too close to #adulthood, which is especially terrifying when you reflect on the fact that you still don’t know how to pay taxes, you have never experienced wine that doesn’t come out of a cardboard box, and that last week you burned pasta. Life is a little easier to take on when your friends are by your side to help you through the tough stuff. 

4. You make your own traditions. It can be tough having to spend holidays or birthdays away from home and your family, but creating your own traditions with friends gives those days new meaning. You all get the chance to contribute to your little family when you make an Easter brunch, go to birthday dinner, or exchange gifts for the holidays.

5. You’re really weird together. Since your family still loves you even after being forced to painfully observe you fight your way through the awkward middle school years, you know that you can be your super-weird self around them. Your college friends are no different. While most of them were unfortunately never given the privilege of watching you navigate an eighth grade dance, they’ve still inevitably seen you at your worst and hang out with you anyways. Good friends don’t only tolerate your quirks, they celebrate them, too.  

6. You love each other. There are ups and downs within any family and between all friends. Your friends become your family when they’re there for you for all of it, making the bad times better and the good times great.