Sidney Gafford ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Sidney Gafford

Year: 4th

Major: Latin American Studies

Hometown: Chesterfield County, Virginia

This week’s Campus Celebrity, Sidney Gafford, has achieved many great things during her time here at UVA, but among all of those wonderful achievements, there is one involvement that resonates most with her. Curious what it is? Find out and learn much more about this bright and talented UVa fourth year as she goes on to talk about living on the lawn, her major, and being a member of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. in this edition of Campus Celebrity.

What are you involved in around grounds?

Although I could list my involvements I’d rather highlight just one, Arts Mentors. I joined this group as a second year and have been devoted ever since. It is a group of UVa students who host elementary school kids from the Charlottesville community to various arts events on and off grounds. Many of these kids live in the public housing project, West Haven, which was constructed after the demolition of the Black Charlottesville community known as Vinegar Hill in 1969. These kids are the grandkids of those who were affected by this travesty.  I feel that participating in the program and exposing these kids to things they may not otherwise experience is a small way to give back and welcome back a community that has historically been closed out from UVa. This past week, we “painted the Rotunda” by creating murals to be mounted on construction fence, lawn side, during the Rotunda renovation project. My experience with these 10 and 11 year olds, has hands down, been one of the most rewarding during my time at UVa.

How is life on the lawn?

Life on the lawn is great. It has taught me to be comfortable with the uncomfortable, especially as I’m passing Deans on my way to the shower…in my robe. I definitely feel like my room serves a dual purpose as a living space and a museum because tourists are so fascinated! I even posed in my Lawn robe for a lady visiting from New York. I have a red guest book on my coffee table to document as many visitors as possible. Overall, I love living on the Lawn, it’s definitely a surreal experience, and something I always dreamed of as an aspiring wahoo, but never imagined coming to pass.

What is your major and what are your plans after you graduate from UVA?

Latin American Studies. I’m hoping to take some time off to get some work experience in the field of public health, then attend grad school to get my Masters in Public Health, with a specialization in Community Health Sciences. I’m really passionate about equal access to health care, nutrition, and exercise, regardless of race, socioeconomic status or geographic location.

Best part about being a member of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.?

The best part about being a member of the Delta Sigma Theta Sorority is the incredible feeling of being a part of a legacy that was fundamentally established on the premise of equal rights, especially for women and people of color. To be able to continue in this legacy and contribute to the mission that Delta has been dedicated to for over 100 years is truly an honor. Being in an organization of so many like-minded women who thrive on selfless service is one of many of the best parts of Delta.

Rapid Fire Questions

Favorite show? A Different World

Celebrity crush? Michael Ealy

Favorite class you’ve taken at UVA? Black Fire and Intro to Buddhism

Hidden talent? Folding T-shirts

Favorite food? Pizza

Favorite movie? ATL/Cinderella

Favorite place on grounds? Para Coffee (technically off grounds, I know)

Block party or Foxfield? Foxfield 

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!