Sheetz: The Hero We Didn’t Know We Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

A look at the new Sheetz on the Corner shows its variety of products, from cold drinks to snacks and pre-ordered food.

When I first got back to Grounds this fall, the first thing I noticed was the new juice bar on the Corner. Not sure which one I’m talking about? That’s easily confusing, because they are not only one, but TWO juice bars on the Corner competing for business.

While all of the commotion of the two new juice bars became the talk of the town, a new convenience store slyly slipped in – Sheetz. Like the juice bars, Sheetz was met with mixed reviews. Many students couldn’t believe that a gas store convenience store would be on the Corner. Other students thought that we already had the convenience of Sheetz in similar stores on the Corner, such as Corner Grocery, Seven Day, and Cohn’s.

They were wrong.

While I, too, was a bit skeptical of the new store (which has been open for less than a week), when I first stepped into the Sheetz, all of my skepticism disappeared in a sea of cold drinks, warm food, and convenient snacks. Sheetz – an upgrade from your neighborhood 7-11 – is clad with wood-looking floors, a sleek ordering interface, and the smiling faces of workers. The space, next to 1515 and formerly home to Eddy’s Tavern, is a bright addition to the Corner, with red accents and an open floor plan designed to make sure that almost every product is visible upon entry – goodbye to creepy convenience store aisles!(The layout of Sheetz proves to be much more inviting than your typical convenience store.)

On the first day it opened, I found myself in Sheetz three separate times. The first time was your usual reconnaissance mission to check out the new spot in town. The second time I went in was a simple mission to grab an iced tea on my way to class. And man, did they make it easy and quick. The third time was more of a matter of chance, as I was settling in to study at their convenient tables when I ran into my friend’s dad. As any polite Sheetz-goer would do, I invited him to sit with me and share in my charcuterie platter – which is something that Sheetz sells.(In addition to charcuterie trays, Sheetz carries a variety of on-the-go food for busy patrons.)

As you can see, my interactions with Sheetz have only been going on a positive incline. Besides its wood floors (which I view as a huge bonus), Sheetz has an ordering interface that allows you to place orders for custom foods and smoothies which are then prepared in minutes. They also boast a variety of milkshakes, frozen drinks, and snacks – all at prices that beat those of Cohn’s and Corner Grocery. But, it gets better. This new mecca of a convenience store is open 24 hours of the day – so no time is an inconvenient time to have a smoothie craving!(An eager customer places her smoothie order with convenience on Sheetz’s ordering interface.)

(Within minutes, the customer’s order is filled.)

For all of these reasons, Sheetz is the hero that we, students of UVA, did not know that we needed. Every night, I sleep soundly knowing that the next day, Sheetz will welcome me back with open arms and the “Welcome Back!” sign above its crystal doors.

(Sheetz welcomes its valued customers each time they enter the store.)

Just your average UVA third year with a passion for dank brunches, niche Spotify playlists, and people who know the difference between "fewer" and "less."