Style > Beauty

Revlon Blowout Brush Rundown + The Shampoo to use with it

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

So last weekend I finally pulled the trigger and got the famous blowout brush, the Revlon One-Step Volumizer. I got mine at my local Bed Bath and Beyond for $34.99 with the pink detailing. At the register the brush did ring up for me as $59.99 but the cashier was able to adjust this once I showed them the store’s website price. This seems to be the about best price for the tool, while Amazon seems to charge roughly the same price, buyer beware stores like Target and Ulta seem to be charging anything from about $45-$60 for the same brush.

Personally I have pretty thick, wavy and frizzy hair so heat styling is something I like to do, but straightening can be pretty damaging long-term and needs already dry hair, which just isn’t always possible. This is why this product interested me. While it definitely was a bit of a learning curve I in the end love the effect this brush gives my hair in about 20-25 minute dry time. To hopefully save you from making some of the same mistakes I did here are some tips and tricks:

• Start with 75% dry hair 🧖‍♀️ – Going in with freshly washed hair with this thing will set you up for a long process with lackluster results. Towel drying your hair (I love to use a microfiber wrap towel for ease and less frizz) and then letting it air dry for about 20 minutes will make this whole process much easier
  • Work in layers and sections 🕓 – starting small will help you long term save time and arm power here. While a pass with this brush definitely can be larger than what you use in a straightener don’t over do it and I like to work in layer from the base of my neck up.
  • Be careful of that metal barrel-it gets HOT 🥵 – I have no clue why I didn’t think this would happen but just stay safe out there….how long this brush stays hot is really my main concern with it and its storage
  • Use the low setting where you can 🍃 – Yes blowdrying is less damaging than straightening but trust me, the high setting on this thing is no joke and can create a slightly crispy feeling it when overused. I try and save high for my roots (which can be a bit harder to get with this brush) or for getting out more stubborn imperfections in my blowout
  • Do cool passes to smooth 🧊 – It the event some crispy frizziness starts to happen the cool setting can really help tamp it down. You can even pretend you are doing a cool shot on your $550 Dyson Airwrap if you want, no judgment here…..
  • Use good styling products to help the process out 💇‍♀️ –
    • My thick hair always weighs itself down at the root so I like to use a volumizing shampoo when I heat style to give some added lift. I have been loving the Eva Nyc Lift Off Volume Shampoo and actually see a difference when I use it vs when I don’t
    • Also use a heat protectant! Your hair will thank you later…

Happy Hair Stying!

Pre-Commerce Second Year at UVA from Long Island, NY.