Window Sun Curtains Plants Apartment
Window Sun Curtains Plants Apartment
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

Reusable Products Just In Time for Earth Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Since Earth Day is just around the corner, here are some amazing reusable products that you can easily integrate into your life. A lot of the struggle that comes with switching to reusable items is that it can sometimes be difficult or not worth the trouble. Luckily these green-conscious products are super easy to use, and won’t break the bank. 

Reusable Silicone Sandwich Bags

If you’re someone who has to pack a lunch for school or work everyday, or even someone who likes to pack snacks, these silicone bags are perfect for you. By using these to pack your food, you could be saving thousands of plastic bags from being thrown away, not to mention the money you’ll save by not having to buy plastic ones all the time. These bags can withstand the microwave and freezer, and you just pop them in the dishwasher to clean. So easy and functional!

Metal Straws

Although this may seem like an obvious one, stainless steel straws are a super effective way to limit your plastic usage. Major companies like Starbucks are starting eventual bans on plastic straws, and hundreds of stores and retailers have followed suit. If you want to save the plant, you can join the movement by picking up a reusable straw. Next time you’re off to grab your daily Starbucks or Dunkin iced coffee, think about bringing along your metal straw. This set is a great starting point and also includes a brush for cleaning.

Slip Silicone Baking Mat

Do you hate having to scrub down your pans after baking some delicious chocolate chip cookies? Well me too. This silicone baking mat is the perfect alternative to tin foil or parchment paper. It’s made from a fiberglass mesh with a nonstick silicone surface, and it’s an amazingly great eco friendly product. It will save the environment, and you from having to grease your baking sheets. You can find them in all shapes and sizes too.

Reusable Water Bottle

Like the metal straws, this one seems kind of obvious, but in the United States alone, we throw away over 35 billion plastic water bottles each year. By grabbing a cute reusable water bottle, you are saving so much plastic from being thrown into landfills and the ocean. Taking a water bottle with you has never been easier, and it forces you to drink more water throughout the day, which lets face it, we all need to do it. Another great idea is switching to reusable coffee cups! Just another excuse to go shopping for cute accessories. I personally love my Hydroflask, but there are so many options to choose from, like Contigo, Nalgene, Yeti etc. 

Hi! My name is Nicole Garibaldi and I am a second year from Arlington, VA. I am a pre-comm major with a minor in computer science. I love baking, painting, and snuggling my rescue lab Tucker! Please talk to me about Harry Styles!!!
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!