Reach Out: Connecting With Alumni to Get Your Dream Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

So have you found a job yet? How’s that internship search going? ”

Those dreaded words seem to haunt you the moment you enter your third year, and once you enter the black hole there is no going back. Any moment I utter the words, I am a fourth year, it seems that nothing else I have to say is relevant and immediately my audience wants to know…do you know what you’re doing next year? No. No I don’t, but yes I know that my options are endless, and all I have to do so breath, sit back, and start emailing.

UVA has an alumni connection that is as strong, powerful, and useful as any other school it might rival, and it is those alumni who have set the path for us to succeed. It is astonishing how many former Hoos are willing to extend a helping hand, and to help out the panicking undergrads looking to figure out their futures. As of 2012, 44.45% of total alumni are females, all who are looking to give those looking for a shot, a chance. Or even a piece of advice. Or even an email to someone’s husband’s, best friend’s, sister’s aunt. Whatever it may be an opportunity is an opportunity and there is no shame in sending out an email to get some sense of direction.  Where are all these alumni living? According to the fact sheet of UVA alumni, the number one state where alumni are is Virginia with 84, 418 alumni, followed by New York with 11, 179. Statistically speaking, all you need is 1 out of 84, 418 chances to have a shot at a good opportunity in just Virginia, which can only make me think…your chances are looking pretty good. Whether you are in a sorority, an athlete, or just in the College, there are alumni that sympathize with you and that see the amazing contribution you could be to theirs’ or an acquaintance’s office. So all you have to do now is be proactive. Go to our Career Services (located in Bryant Hall at Scott Stadium), and ask for ways to connect with alumni.

If you’re looking to be behind or in front of the camera, UVA holds a claim to fame with celebrity hot shots like Tina Fey, Tiki Barber and move producer Andrew Scheinman, who produced movies such as When Harry Met Sally, and The Princess Bride.  Looking into politics? Alumni are proudly holding positions in Senate, Congress, District Courts, and even the Deputy Chief of the Staff for Intelligence once walked the lawn. Upon finding out the president and CEO of Krispy Kreme went to my school, I realized the success of UVA doesn’t stop on that quickly approaching day in May. I mean come on, Miss America 2005 once sang the good ole’ song.