This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Sarah and Summer have known each other for years (see the article Summer wrote last February, Sarah and Summer: The 6 Year Friendship of Her Campus at UVA’s CCs) and just by pure fate, they ended up at the same college, in the same section of the marching band, and both as CC’s (Campus Correspondents) for HCUVA (though the CC part wasn’t pure coincidence; Sarah asked Summer to join HCUVA and encouraged her to apply for CC). To celebrate another semester of friendship and working together, they’re doing a Q&A! All of the questions were asked by their fellow trumpet section-mates, so s/o to them for helping out!

1. What is your favorite thing about HerCampus?

Summer: I’ve always loved writing, and as a biology major, it’s really great to have something that isn’t science based 24/7. Her Campus lets me write about what I’m feeling, what I like, and all the weird things in my head that I don’t to express in scientific writing.

Sarah: I’ve been involved with Her Campus since my first year, and I love how it strives to amplify women’s voices on campuses across the country.

2. What is your go-to meal (both on Grounds and off-Grounds)?

Summer: On Grounds, I love the 434 station in Newcomb. It’s all locally grown produce and it tastes so much better than anything else you can get in a dining hall. As far as off-Grounds goes, and I know I’ll get hate for this… but I really like going to Taco Bell.

Sarah: No meal plan anymore, but the go to on grounds is tofu dumplings with edamame. Off grounds is a classic Rev Soup quesadilla…I’m in love with those bad boys.

3. What is your take on the UVA vs. Duke basketball game and what do you think will happen during the next matchup?

Summer: All I want to say is that after that game, well, it’s a good thing I have a therapy appointment next week. And duh, we’re gonna crush them in JPJ. Zion, who? Irrelevant.

Sarah: I am so proud of how far our boys have come and I’m looking forward to the next match up. We didn’t win that game, we lost it. They definitely didn’t win it, if you know what I mean. When you give up those three pointers and miss easy shots, that’s what happens. I’m excited to see how we persevere the next game.

4. How do you feel about the fact that the class of 2023 just got accepted to UVA?

Summer: I’m HYPE! One of my good friends from high school just got in and I’m really hoping he joins the marching band here!!!!!!!!! Wahoowa for those baby hoos!!!

Sarah: I am also so excited for the new hoos!! I heard this application class was one of the most diverse in history, which makes me so happy. I’m hoping there’s even more that were accepted, as I believe the differences we have makes our university stronger.

5. Have you discovered any “hidden gems” of UVA? (Like cool places no one knows about or cool study spots or whatnot)

Summer: First of all, they’re hidden for a reason and I don’t want people taking my cool spots. But, if I have to disclose, I do love the Language Commons in New Cabell.

Sarah: There’s a beautiful two-seater in the edge of Fine Arts library that I write my thesis in whenever I can, so if you can manage to steal the nook from me, bravo.

6. What is a class that EVERY E-school student should take from the college (more in terms of humanities)?

Summer: I don’t really take humanities classes because I’m a bio major and I didn’t have to take general requirements so… I don’t know…

Sarah: Arts and cultures of the Slave South with Louis Nelson (cross-listed art history and architectural history). I have never had to truly face my privilege like I did in that class, and I am a better person because of it. I also learned things in that class that I think about every day. Louis Nelson is brilliant and you would be doing yourself a favor as a UVA student if you took this class. Enthralling and captivating are two words I use to describe how Nelson teaches and how meaningful his class is.

7. How can I look decent when I’m stressed, no time, and don’t have makeup?

Summer: Brush your teeth, run a comb through your hair, wash your face, and yeet out the door, homie. Besides, people are so concerned about how they look that they’re most likely not looking at you.

Sarah: ALWAYS wash your face, swipe two layers of mascara on your eyes, and finish with some tinted lip gloss/lip balm. The lips are key.

8. What’s your favorite meme?

Summer: Student athlete meme because it’s TRUE.

Sarah: White women memes – along the lines of “I would like to speak to the manager” stuff. Also Kermit drinking tea even though it’s old because I LOVE TEA and so does Summer, we love tea together.

9. If you have kids/pets in the future, what do you want to name them?

Summer: I want to name all of my dogs after female scientists. My dog currently is named Rosie, after Rosalind Franklin. Once I’m in the place in my life to have multiple dogs, I’ll probably name the next one Marie, for Marie Curie.

Sarah: I am currently allergic to children, but I DEF want dogs or cats. Definitely naming one of them after artists, likely “Roy” for Roy Lichtenstein or “Bass” pronounced like b-ass for Jean-Michel Basquiat.

10. Biggest pet-peeves?

Summer: Meninists and loud chewing

Sarah: White people who don’t acknowledge their privilege, slow walkers, and men.

Hi! I'm Summer! I'm a fourth-year biology major at the University of Virginia, and President/Campus Correspondent for HCUVA. I love HC because it elevates the female voice and provides a platform for my passions in an awesome #girlsquad community! I hope you enjoy my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thanks for checking out my page, and happy reading!