This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

These past months in quarantine have been necessary but undoubtedly difficult. Plants are a great way to light up your room and hopefully make quarantine just a bit more bearable. It also gives your room a nice cottagecore vibe! If you want your room’s air to be crisp but have been discouraged from getting one because your room doesn’t get much sunlight, here are some plants perfect for you!

Chinese Evergreen Plant

-A luck-bringing plant :)

-A great plant to start with if you’re new to caring for houseplants

-Made it to NASA’s list of air-filtering houseplants! (air purifier: cleans out formaldehyde and benzene from the air in your house)

-A plant with darker leaves prefers low light (varieties with lighter-colored leaves like pink like a little more light)

Bromeliads

-Adds a splash of color!

-Prefers bright indirect sunlight as opposed to direct light

-Releases oxygen and removes air pollutants

-Will bloom once in its lifetime (lasts only 3-6 months though)

Snake Plant

-Can hold up their sturdy look even with a few weeks of neglect

-Cleans air better than most other indoor plants as it has the ability to absorb excessive amounts of carbon monoxide

-Emits oxygen and filters other toxins from the air such as benzene

Lucky Bamboo

-Associated with feng shui and the number of stalks comes with its own meaning (3 stalks = happiness; 5 = wealth; 6 = luck; 7 = good health; 8 = growth; 10 = completion)

-Looks super cute on a desk

-Has mini, bonsai-like proportions

Peace Lily

-Known to symbolize rebirth, prosperity, and tranquility

-One of the best plants to purify the air

-Breaks down and neutralizes toxic gases like benzene, formaldehyde, and carbon monoxide

-Adaptable and low-maintenance

-If left near a window it will bloom gorgeous white flowers once in its lifetime

Zz Plant

-One of the hardiest plants around and is nearly impossible to kill

-Its waxy looking leaves give it a nice shine

-Removes copious amounts of toxins (ex. xylene, toluene, and benzene)

-Represents “steady” and “growth” in feng shui

-Thought to bring good fortune and luck with its significant thick, textured leaves

Spider Plant

-Can thrive without much natural light

-They do NOT attract spiders (it’s named for the spindle look)

-Produces oxygen whilst purifying the air by absorbing carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and xylene

-Non-toxic and are edible, making them safe for pets and young children

Find a list of other plants that don’t need much sunlight here! Also, here’s some NASA approved air-purifying houseplants!

Ariel is a 4th year writer at the Her Campus Chapter at the University of Virginia chapter. She is a 1st year graduate school studying Commerce, and graduated with a bachelors in Kinesiology and Computer Science. In her free time, she enjoys playing volleyball, learning how to crochet, and creating Spotify playlists, and scrolling aimlessly thru 3 social media apps like clockwork. Keep up with her on Instagram @arielliuu!
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!