Parents’ Reactions to Two Extra Months With Their College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Amidst all of the panic and preparation that has been caused by the coronavirus, college students returning home have to readjust and cope with (potentially) spending an unexpected 5 months in their hometowns. For some, having classes being moved online and being “strongly encouraged” to return home was the best news they could have asked for; but for others who maybe have a poor family dynamic or just a really boring hometown, the thought of this return is heart wrenching.

Readjusting to hometown family life varies for each student, but parental/familial reactions all tend to fall relatively under one (or more) of 5 categories:

The “My Child Is My Best Friend” Parent

Coffee dates, mani-pedis, and movie nights are what encompass this type of parental reaction. This is probably one of the best types of reactions because you feel cared for but not overly controlled. This can make it very difficult, however, to fully integrate in and let yourself enjoy the college experience when you are in it.

The “My Babysitter Is Back” Parent

As the oldest sibling, I can attest to this one; breaks consist of taking on the titles of babysitter, personal chauffeur, and surrogate parent to my siblings. Although spending time with younger brothers and sisters can be a perk, there is often an over-reliance on a student that has become accustomed to and enjoyed the little responsibility that comes with being a first year in college.

The “Personal Caretaker” Parent

Picture this: you walk in the door of your house that smells of a home-cooked meal that you have been deprived of for months; your parent(s) help you carry your bags, offer to wash your laundry, and do everything short of running your bath and rubbing your feet. This sounds like a luxurious vacation, but may feel quite overwhelming compared to the endless freedom you experience at school after a few days/weeks, much less after five months.

The “You’re Not Allowed To Do That” Parent

This is often the reaction of the stricter parents who grasp at the control that they do still have over their son or daughter by establishing rules that are difficult to adjust to as a college student who could go on an adventure at 3am or eat his/her first meal of the day at 5pm just a few days prior to coming home.

The “I’m Just Going To Continue On With My Life” Parent

A parent that reacts as though your coming and going does not impact him/her can be really difficult to come home to. The parent may have already transformed your room into a home gym or a crafting room, acknowledging you as having moved out. This parent’s student likely still has (most of) the freedom that was held at school, but lacks the support and eagerness that many of his/her peers receive from their parents in their homecoming.

Although many of our parents may fall into more than one of these categories at various times, we all tend to understand the struggle of making an adjustment as drastic as this. 

Michaela is a second year student at the University of Virginia majoring in Cognitive Science with a minor in Sociology. She enjoys being on the water, cooking, and working out! Happy Reading! :D
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!