Paige Selenski ’12 and Paul Freedman ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Paige Selenski is a superstar field hockey player: she’s a midfielder who’s currently red shirted to play for the U.S national team. As if this wasn’t enough athletic talent for one person, she is also dating another athletic celebrity. Paul Freedman, Paige’s boyfriend, is a tight end for the Cavaliers and has played a crucial part in UVA football’s success this season. They are not a couple to mess with and together they are the definition of a power couple. We may never know for sure who is the most athletic between the two, but one thing is for sure- they are equally dedicated and might just be our favorite UVA couple.

Name: Paige Selenski
Year: 4th (redshirted)
Major: English
Hometown:  Shavertown, Pennsylvania
How long have you and Paul been dating?
Almost 6 months.

Who is more athletic? Who can run faster and who is the strongest?
It depends, but I think I take the cake for overall athleticism. Paul might be a tab bit stronger (only because he is a foot taller and weighs over 100 pounds more than me- so I am at a severe disadvantage), but I am most definitely faster. He says we raced once and he beat me… but that’s a lie.

What do you guys do to celebrate a win? Cope with a loss?
When one of us wins, we celebrate by going out to a nice dinner and ordering tons of food and a few
drinks. When one of us loses… we starve ourselves. (Just kidding) When one of us loses, we rely on each
other for the support to back on the field for the next game stronger and to avoid dwelling on the loss.

Does it ever make you nervous when Paul watches a field hockey game?
No, not really. If anything, knowing that he’s watching pumps me up and makes me play better. Since
we’ve been dating he’s only been able to watch my games online, but it is nice to have his support.
Even though I’m playing hockey on the other side of the country for the year, he is very supportive of
me and tries to watch me play whenever he can.

What is your ideal date with Paul?
Going to Raising Canes and ordering a coop of fried chicken with extra canes sauce, extra fries (instead
of the coleslaw) and a large coke (which we share with two straws). Afterwards, to burn off the cals, a
long walk on the beach during sunset.

Do you think you could keep up with your boyfriend in a game of football?
At this stage in my life, probably not… But I’m convinced if I pack on a few pounds and hit the weight
room a couple more times a week I’ll be able to show him up.

What has been your proud moment this season?
Beating the world’s #1 ranked Argentina to win the gold at the 2011 Pan American Games in
Guadalajara, Mexico.

Who is your biggest role model?

My mom and dad. My mom passed away when I was a sophomore in high school but has and will always be an inspiration in my life. She got me into playing field hockey, so whenever I step out on the field I play for her. My dad is my biggest supporter and one of the most amazing people I know. He is at every one of my games, traveling to UVA and around to world to watch me play. The way he has been able to balance his job, 3 kids, and personal life as a single parent truly amazes me every day.

What are your post graduation plans?
I want to keep playing field hockey on the national team for a while. Afterwards I will either get a job or
go to graduate school.

I know you have received a lot of honors and awards, what are some of the most memorable ones?
Off the top of my head… Women’s National Team since 2010, Gold Medal in 2011 Pan American Games,
3 time All-American, 3 time first-team All-ACC, Virginia Female Collegiate Athlete of the Year in 2010,
Honda Award finalist 2010 and 2009, ACC Freshman of the Year 2008, National Rookie of the Year 2008,
NCAA Final Four 2010 and 2009.

What has it been like to play for the United State’s national team?
It has been my dream since I started playing when I was ten years old, and every time I put on my USA jersey it is an honor to play for my country. Honestly, my eyes start to water when they play the national anthem before every game.

What is a song that could describe your life?
Eye of the Tiger by Survivor

Name: Paul Freedman

Year: 3rd year

Major: Anthropology

Hometown: Belleair beach, Fla

How did you and Paige meet?
She has a condo in Florida that is nearly my house. We met up on New Years last year.

We have raced once and barely beat her. I’m stronger and I don’t know she is an athletic girl.

How do you two cope with your busy practice schedules?
She is out of town a lot with her national team traveling. We just work around it, and see each other when we can.

Do you go to Paige’s field hockey games? Are you ever her cheerleader in the stands?
 Because she isn’t here this year on the national team and we weren’t dating last FH season, I actually have never seen her play live. I went to two UVA games this year though, and have watched a few of her USA ones online.

What do you two do in your free time? Together?
 Normally eat unhealthy food and just hang out. Maybe play some Mario Kart (which I’m better at as well) Not with her?- play video games and hang out with the rest of the house.

Do you think you could keep up with your girlfriend in a game of field hockey? I actually know I could.
She was very impressed with my skills the first time I ever played though.

Being the first team ever to beat Florida State and Miami at their stadiums in the same year ever.

Who is your biggest role model?
 My high school basketball coach. Al Braithwaite.

What are your post graduation plans?
Hopefully go to the NFL or get into coaching.

How do you feel about Mike London winning coach of the year?
It’s an awesome honor for Coach London and a great example of what a successful year this was for the program.

If you could play any other sport at UVA, what would it be?
Golf, I’m friends with a few of them and I wouldn’t have a problem going to Birdwood and playing golf every day.

What is a motto or quote you live by?
 Life’s a Garden, Dig it! – Joe Dirt