Paige Cozort ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Paige Cozort 

Year: First

Hometown: Aurora, Colorado

What are you involved in?

Salsa Club, Adopt-a-Grandparent with Madison House, and I work at the Emmett Mail room as well. Last semester, I was in a really cool program called The Blue Print Emerging Leaders Program, which was basically a bunch of seminars with different professors and people from the University- Dean Groves spoke once!

What are the top 3 things you’ll miss about UVA over the summer?

1)        The Lawn. Recently, I got dumplings with a bunch of my close friends and we just sat on the lawn, in the sun and hung out. It was all a “very UVA” afternoon- especially with the “lawnies” playing Frisbee around us.

2)        Having my best friends be literally 5 feet away from me all the time! Whenever I’m bored or want to go do something, I always have someone right there- all I need to do is walk out into my hall.

3)        Food: Dumplings, Bodos, Mellow Mushroom, Christians, Basil – we just don’t have all of these great restaurants in Colorado!

What are the top 3 things you’re excited to go back home for?

1)        Going home to the fam of course! My sister is going off to college next year, which is just crazy. All of my siblings are growing up so fast and I’m missing everything so I’m just excited to be home in order to catch up with everything that’s happening!2)        Hiking and mountains! My go to trail this summer is going to be Hanging Lake, I haven’t gone but it looks so gorgeous! Seriously, Google it.

3)        Being reunited with my best friend, Bailey. When I became best friends with her, I basically adopted a second family-that’s how close we are.

What will you be doing this summer?

I’ll be working at a local restaurant that I worked at last summer! I’m trying to spend as much time with my family and friends and I want to be doing typical Colorado things- so lots of hiking! Oh, and of course the small detail of figuring out my life. I’m debating on whether or not to become a psychiatrist so I’ll be exploring that this summer!

What’s the class you’re most excited about taking next semester?

This is tentative since I’m on the wait list but I’m really hoping to get into a course called Language and Culture. It would be about how culture shapes language. I took intro to cognition this semester and I learned a lot about linguistics, I found it so fascinating! Fun fact: In Morocco when people talk about the future they gesture backwards, but when they talk about the past they gesture to the front. This is the opposite for Spaniards and Americans, because we, as a culture, focus more on the future rather than the past.  

Anything you wish you could re-live from this year?

It’s so easy to forget all the small, amazing things that happen through out the year!

I had this amazing day downtown- we went to the crepe place and then ended up ice-skating, it was just the most perfect day.

Favorites-

Store: Charlotte Russe

Book: Malcolm Gladwell’s The Outliers.

It’s about how everything doesn’t happen always by chance and how there are underlying, predictable patterns in the world.

Movie: Kevin Pearce’s The Crash Reel

It’s about Kevin Pearce’s story- he was one of the best snow boarders in America and then suffered a traumatic brain injury, it’s so inspiring! Fun fact: My psych teacher in high school wrote him a letter, which he responded to, and he actually ended up coming to our school to talk to us! So, I met him when he came and he’s such a cool guy! He carries himself in such an amazing manner.

Netflix: Grey’s Anatomy

When I heard there was a spoiler, I made sure to avoid the Internet and any source of information-but then my MOM decides to spoil it for me. I can’t believe Grey’s would do that… enough is enough!

Nail polish: For those who don’t know me, I have a nail polish addiction. My favorites (for the summer) include: China glaze’s Too yacht To Handle, Flip Flop Fantasy and Highlight of my Summer. All neon!

Choose:

Unwind with: Magazine or BOOK

Headphones in for MUSIC or Netflix

Starbucks or UNKNOWN COFFEE SHOP

Being Invisible or PSYCHIC 

OCEAN or Pool

Smile, it makes you live longer! 
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!