This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

After dancing in the snow of the parking lot while holding our very own Taylor Swift concert, my friends and I stumbled back into my apartment and settled down with a couple of s’mores and a few glasses of hot chocolate. In the lulls of the evening, we dispersed across the room, tucking away to finish our last homework assignments. My friend, who graduated a semester early, passed the time with my light pink 3DS. As I showcased my assortment of games, a wave of nostalgia hit us both.

“I haven’t touched a Nintendo since elementary school!” he exclaimed. With a trip down memory lane, I couldn’t help but reminisce over a set of 2005 – 2006 timeless games that seemed to have defined not just my own childhood but that of my entire generation.

Animal Crossing

In the throes of quarantine, the release of the latest Animal Crossing: New Horizons provided refuge and calm amongst chaos. During the first week of quarantine, I called my sister to learn that she had spent over 99 hours terraforming her island. I couldn’t blame her. There’s something relaxing about hearing the waves crash into the shore and oddly satisfying catching all the bugs in a virtual world.

Nintendogs

When I was a child, I pleaded to my parents, begging for a pet dog. Exasperated, my mother caved, handing me Nintendogs.

“There’s your dog,” she said.

I have spent perhaps over a decade still screaming into the mic in a fruitless attempt to train my dog to sit. This game showed me that I could never train a dog—whether it be virtual or not. I guess it was convincing enough evidence that I was never suitable for a pet, and since then, I haven’t asked for any. I guess my mom knew what she was doing when she introduced me to the game.

New Super Mario Bros.

Even if you’ve never owned a Nintendo console, you’ve played a Super Mario Bro game. It’s a classic! Sure, it’s fun to complete all the levels on all the worlds, but the real joy is battling friends to collect stars. At five years old, I tried my best to jump over the gaps, avoiding a straight fall towards death. I had yet to develop adequate hand-eye-coordination or enough wit to rival my older sister. I cried as she timed her jumps perfectly with mine, pushing me down the abyss of no return. Now, I chuckle in pure glee as I execute that exact same move on my little cousins. I’ve spent over a decade returning to this timeless game, but at least I’ll be passing on dirty family tricks to make my sister proud.

Hi, y'all! I'm Julia and am from Texas! I'm a third year studying biology and East Asian studies for pre-dental. If I'm not on YouTube, you can find me active on Yelp or Netflix. Aside from writing and reading, I enjoy taking photos. Thank you for reading my pieces!
Nikki is a fourth year and a Biology major at the University of Virginia. Her loves in life include reading, animals, and cookies! Writing is one of her creative outlets and she hopes you enjoy her articles as much as she enjoys writing them!