A No-Brainer’s Guide to UVA Bus Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Seriously, Grounds is so big, that it’s sometimes nearly impossible to get anywhere without taking the bus. Thank god we have the University Transit Services AND Charlottesville Area Transit systems to get us where we need to go. But every so often, you’ll see people abusing their bus riding privileges. Here’s some tips on how to not tick off your bus driver and your fellow bus mates.

Rule 1: How to enter and exit the bus

This ought to be simple right? WRONG. To avoid getting the death glare from your bus driver and possibly asked to exit the bus and get back on again, you enter through the front door (the door closest to the driver) and exit through the back. You can exit through the front too, no big deal- just don’t hop on from the back, that’s a big NO NO. UTS driver Khanh Tran simply puts it,” DON’T. ENTER. THROUGH. THE. BACK. DOOR.”

Wow, all caps and periods, must be a serious thing. Bottom line- don’t do it!  And, in order to avoid that awkward jam in the front of the bus, check if anyone’s exiting through the front first, and let them get off before getting on. Unless you’re cool with bumping head-on into people, which isn’t actually cool.

Rule 2: When to give up your seat

We’re all nice and healthy young people, therefore we can stand for long periods of time. Here’s a list of people we give up our seats for:

1. Adults – Definitely stand up and offer your seat to the elderly. If it’s a middle-age person, you might be afraid of offending them if you offer them your seat, but it never hurts to ask politely.
  2. The disabled – The seats closest to the driver are designated for the disabled. Don’t make the bus driver remind you!
  3. Adults with kids and strollers – Come on, I can barely keep myself from keeping balance while standing on a moving bus, so can you imagine trying to do so with a baby in your arms? Let em’ sit!

Rule 3: Filling up the bus

Ever tried to get to class via bus 10 minutes before the hour? Yeah it’s a nightmare, especially for the kids living in Gooch-Dillard (sorry :/ ). It’s really all a team effort to fit as many people as we can on the bus, so here’s a cheat sheet on how we can make it happen:

1. Every seat should be filled up before you decide to stand. If you’re standing when there’s not that many people on the bus to talk to your friend, that’s cool, but when more people start coming you better hustle to the back/find a seat buddy.
  2. If you’re already sitting, don’t be that jerk whose backpack is taking up a whole seat. Pay attention folks!
  3. Don’t be that one kid on the phone that didn’t get the message of scooting back to the very back of the bus to make room.
  4. The faster you squish yourself like a sardine in a can, the sooner you can get to class. Make it speedy guys!

Rule 4: Jaywalking

Bus etiquette can apply when you’re not in it too! If you’re walking around Grounds, it’s way too soon to die, so please don’t suddenly cross the street in front of a bus. Yes, actually watch where you’re going! You’re NOT actually going to get free tuition if you get hit by a bus!

Pro-tip: If you’re going to jaywalk at the Ohill cross stop, do it right. Watch the traffic lights and look for oncoming cars. If it’s clear, and if you want to show off your Olympian sprinting skills, go for it. But DO NOT jaywalk if a bus is at the stoplight. It’s a pet peeve amongst all the drivers. You can wait 30 seconds guys.

Rule 5: Say hello and thank you to the bus driver

Have you ever driven one of those massive buses? It isn’t easy! With long routes and shifts, and crazy kids darting across the streets every day, our bus drivers do their best to get us to places on time and safely. I STRONGLY suggest that you greet them with a warm hello hopping on, and look over your shoulder to say thank you on your way out. It’s these little acts of kindness that make their day.

Hey collegiettes! I'm a fourth year Psychology major at the beautiful University of Virginia, studying business analytics and research. My 2nd year, I was one of three committee members for the first ever HerCampus at UVA PR/Events Planning team, then 3rd year I was the chair of the team, and now I'm super happy to be their first ever treasurer. I'm so proud to see how HerCampus has grown since I started, not only in writing, but planning terrific events and growing our reach in the UVA community. Every year I meet a fantastic group of talented girls who can write and shed light on important topics, and also girls who are incredibly resourceful and skilled on social media and PR. I love HerCampus with a passion and I'm so glad for the opportunity to have met so many wonderful UVA collegiettes! 
Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!