This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Having your nails painted, especially a fun color with a zany name, is a great way to express yourself, feel great about yourself whenever you seem them, and treat yourself. Let’s be real, we all want the job to be the person to name the nail polishes their trendy and sometimes punny names. Well, for Essie and OPI at least, there is no “job” unfortunately for this to apply for. The company Essie has its nail polishes named by its founder, Essie Weingarten. She uses names that remind her of locations, special events, people, or anything that inspires her. For example, there is the Essie “Turquoise and Caicos” named after the Turks and Caicos, and certainly is a great reminder of it with its lovely light blue-green color. (Photo courtesy of pinterest.com)

There is also the Essie color “Topless and Barefoot” which has a nice nude color to it. 

(Photo courtesy of warmfrenchonionsoup.blogspot.com)

For OPI nail polish, the OPI executive vice president and artistic director, Suzi Weiss-Fischmann, has a group of herself and a group of six other creative marketing OPI employees who arm themselves with inspirational items and names taking between six to eight hours to come up with twelve new names about. For example, OPI has some great names such as “Teal the Cows come home,” “A good Man-darin is hard to find,” “I don’t know… beets me!,” and “Ladies & Magenta-Men.” 

(Photo courtesy of bestproducts.com)

What is your favorite nail polish name? Do you have any great ideas for new ones? And most importantly go treat yourself and go paint your nails! 

(Thumbnail photo courtesy of HuffingtonPost.com) 

Meg is a student at Haverford College and plays field hockey for the college. She is an interested writer.