This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

For the past six years or so, I’ve been buying exclusively cruelty-free when it comes to makeup. Consequently, I’ve come to know what works, what doesn’t, and what I can’t live without, so I decided to share my favorites when it comes to cruelty-free makeup!

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz

Honestly, if I could only pick one thing off this list, it’s this one. I know it’s been around and pretty well-known for a while, but if you haven’t tried it yet, I’m here to tell you it’s for a reason. This brow pencil is honestly amazing, and I’ve been using it since sophomore year of high school. I love how it has a thin tip, which makes it user-friendly and great if you’re a beginner, and how it has the spoolie on the other side. It’s the best brow pencil out there and it’s cruelty-free, so it’s a win-win!

NYX HD Photogenic Concealer Wand

I’ve used and repurchased this concealer for years, and it definitely gets the job done. Although I’ve tried some higher end options, I always seem to run out pretty quickly, making the $20+ I spent on the product unjustifiable to me. This concealer is cheap enough that I don’t worry about running out in a few weeks or every month or so!

Becca Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter in Rose Quartz

I know a few years back everyone was raving about this highlighter in the color Champagne Pop, however, I love the Rose Quartz color. It’s a beautiful highlighter that’s a little more rosey, but not quite a rose gold. It looks gorgeous, and the quality of this highlighter is amazing. Honestly, it is a bit pricey, but if you’re like me and don’t run through highlighter quickly, it’s definitely worth the investment.

ILIA Limitless Lash Mascara

I recently bought this mascara over winter break after trying and trying and retrying to make the Two Faced Better Than Sex Mascara work for me, and I absolutely love it. It won the Allure Best of Beauty in Clean Beauty award in 2019, so I decided to give it a shot. I love the formula and how it’s not super clumpy (an issue I had with the Two Faced mascara, because I’m personally not a fan of clumpy lashes). The bristles of the wand are in different arrangements and are different sizes, which I like so you can work the wand through your lashes in whichever way works best for you.

Covergirl Clump Crusher Water Resistant Mascara

I know what you’re thinking, Covergirl is cruelty-free?? Yes! Very recently, Covergirl became cruelty-free, and it’s great because now there’s another option at the drugstore to buy from! As I said earlier, I’m not a fan of clumps, and this mascara lives up to the name! I still currently use it for my lower lashes because I do still like it! My only problem is that sometimes it does rub off a little, so I hope they make a waterproof version soon!

Tarte Amazonian Clay Blush

I’ve only ever gotten the trial sizes of these, but they come in a bunch of different pretty colors and the pigment is great! The trial sizes have lasted me a while as well (although I don’t use blush too often, a little of this product goes a long way), so I’m sure the full size would be a good investment even if it is a little more expensive.

I know buying exclusively cruelty-free can limit your options, or seem expensive since a lot of drugstore brands test their products on animals. However, I hope in sharing this list with you, it opens your eyes to buying from more ethical brands, no matter where your budget lies!

Julia is a second-year at the University of Virginia majoring in Speech Communication Disorders, and she plans on becoming a pediatric speech-language pathologist. In her free time, she loves hanging out with her friends and playing sports (mostly basketball and soccer). She's also addicted to shopping and bingeing the same shows on Netflix (Gossip Girl and Jane the Virgin are some of her favs!). She enjoys writing as a creative outlet and hopes you like her articles!
Shirley is a fourth year at the University of Virginia. She loves coffee, books, and plants. She also hopes that you'll enjoy her articles!