Most Iconic Oscars Looks of All Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

For decades, the Academy Awards had marked an important night in the entertainment industry, celebrating the most influential films of the year.  Over time, the Academy Awards have transcended the world of cinema, revolutionizing the meaning of Hollywood glamour through the iconic fashion moments on the Oscars red carpet.  Every year, the weeks leading up to the Oscars are shrouded in anticipation of what America’s favorite celebrities will be wearing.  Predictions are made and risks are taken.  After all, the stakes are high for actors and actresses when one wrong accessory could land you on the worst dressed list.  Take a look at some of the most influential Oscars looks of all time.

Gwyneth Paltrow made fashion history at the 1999 Academy Awards in this pink taffeta Ralph Lauren gown.  Paltrow exuded elegance as she accepted her Best Actress award for her role in Shakespeare in Love.  By pushing boundaries with this unapologetically girly look, she solidified her status as a fashion icon.     

Julia Roberts has become a staple on red carpets as a result of her consistently sophisticated and chic style.  This vintage Valentino gown from the 2001 Oscars is considered her most famous red carpet look.       

At the 2012 Academy Awards, Angelina Jolie turned heads in a leg-bearing Atelier Versace dress.  This bold gown was a standout choice amongst her typically more conservative red carpet looks.  Thanks to the power of the Internet, Angelina Jolie’s right leg went viral that year, along with her undeniably stunning gown.        

Jennifer Lawrence claimed to have tried on this Dior Couture dress for the first time the morning of the 2013 Academy Awards.  Dior is Lawrence’s go-to choice for red carpet fashion, and as she does in this dramatic look, she always makes a bold impression.  It is hard to say what was more memorable that year – this amazing dress or the fact that it caused her to trip on her way to accept the award for Best Actress. 

Jaws dropped when Lupita Nyong’o stepped out on the Oscars red carpet in this vivid blue Prada gown in 2014.  Perfectly accessorized with a delicate Fred Leighton headband, this gown was chosen because the color reminded her of Nairobi, her hometown. 

Will any of the looks from the 2016 Academy Awards make as much of an impact on the fashion world as these five breathtaking gowns?  Only time will tell.  However, it is clear that the Oscars are about so much more than just the awards.  Red carpet culture gives us a glimpse into the personal styles of celebrities, as well as provides endless fashion inspiration.     

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!