Mary Cowden ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Name: Mary Cowden

Year: Third

Major: Spanish

What is your favorite thing about this semester?

(Mary has been studying abroad in Valencia, Spain!)

Being abroad has 100% put me out of my comfort zone. This is all knowledge I would have never gained by just staying in Charlottesville; I’m getting life experience outside of the typical university setting.

What are your favorite activities at UVA?

I’m on the club field hockey team, which I love! After gruaduating from high school I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to find the team aspect again, but this has given me that and a competitive environment to thrive in. I’m also part of Alternative Spring Break, which is amazing. I’ve been pushed outside of my comfort zone with trips going to Nicaragua the past three years. It’s funny because this club is something I happened to come upon first year, but it has come to define my college experience.

Your favorite fall tradition?

It’s not really fall, but Peppermint Mochas from Starbucks are like Christmas in a cup and it makes me so damn happy.  

Your favorite fall themed food?

Pumpkin pie, that’s real good. Actually, anything with pumpkin… I like pumpkin a lot.

If you could go back in time, what time period would you choose and why?

I don’t have a time period in mind, but more just a moment. I would choose a time when our phones weren’t the main point of interest. Remember the times when we actually had to write letters? I think that sitting down at a meal and no one checking their phones and actually engaging in conversation is absolutely fantastic.

Your dream date?

Something adventurous – I would love to walk the Camino (Saint James Way) with a boyfriend or go on a volcano hike or something cool like that!

(Editor’s note: Mary walked the Camino de Santiago back in October, she’s kind of amazing)

Rapid-fire responses: GO

Milkshakes OR Smoothies:  Milkshakes, even though I’m lactose intolerant (had one two days ago, oops)

Crepes OR Waffles: Nutella crepes (with some kind of fruit in it and preferably from Paris, please and thank you)

Dog or Cat: Dog, no question.

Tracksuit OR Fanny-pack: Oh my god, fanny-pack.

Coffee OR Tea: Coffee makes me anxious but I prefer it to tea.

Words of advice:  Something along the lines of: Live your life, it’s too short.

Smile, it makes you live longer!