#LoveYoSelf: Self Love Sundays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Self-love is a relatively easy concept to understand but, at times, so difficult to actually execute. With there being so many ways to think and so many ways to view different aspects of life, it can be very overwhelming and even harmful when it comes to how we view ourselves. I recently heard about this movement called Self Love Sundays while perusing through Twitter, where a number of accounts were posting tweets and retweeting messages that expressed the importance of loving oneself, finding your inner peace within yourself, and understanding that you have full control over your life. To some, it may seem silly to emphasize something that we may already know but, in the end, we have to realize that it is important to stress things like self-love. Sometimes, we get so focused on and place so much weight on what others think of us, how others feel we should be leading our lives, that we forget that what matters the most and all in all is ourselves since it is our life.

So, how do I approach Self Love Sundays?

Tea: There is a reason why people always turn to tea as a way to keep themselves calm and with the craziness that is finals week, there is nothing more wonderful that latching onto something that can keep you sane. Since arriving to college, I have not consumed as much tea as I used to while at home but I strive to have at least a few cups of it each week – and especially on Sundays.

Writing: I have always considered writing a passion of mine so it was no surprise that I have made this one of my priorities on Self Love Sundays. On Sunday, I reflect upon my week and just simply allow myself to write whatever comes to mind, the good and bad. Whether or not I have a direction in mind is not the focus of the content but simply how I am feeling. It is a great way to express the thoughts and feelings that you may not be able to verbalize and is always therapeutic for me.

Yoga: Granted, I am not the most flexible person in the world and I am taking baby steps because of this fact, but it has been incredibly relaxing trying this out and seeing how far that I can get. I use this as a way to center myself, refocus, and remain in tune with my body, which can be difficult to do while in college.

Positive Affirmations: Since I discovered the concept of Self Love Sundays on Twitter, it was not difficult for me to zero in on an accounts that focus on it. On Sunday, I scour through the pages that I follow while also looking for new ways to see how each individual practices it as well as read the positive and inspiring messages that they disseminate. Sometimes, just reading positive things have the ability to uplift your mood and I make it a habit to do so not just on Sunday but any day where I could be feeling stressed or simply unhappy. Also, I make it a habit to share these messages with my friends, which often leads to enlightening and cleansing conversations.

As life goes on, we can allow ourselves to get caught up in everything that suddenly, all of these events and people take precedence over our well being and we put ourselves on the back burner. However, Self Love Sundays is a way to change all of that. Remember that you are important, that you are loved, and it is never selfish to put yourself first when it comes to your health and your happiness.

Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!