Learn About the UVA Women’s Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Just a few weeks ago, HerCampus UVA had the pleasure of partnering with the Maxine Platzer Lynn Women’s Center to put on the event “How She Made UVA’s Campus HerCampus.” The event featured a panel of distinguished UVA women – fourth year students Emily McDuff and Alex Pinkleton, and McIntire/Darden professor Sherri Moore – who all spoke about their personal experiences with female empowerment.

The Women’s Center was a natural partner for this event, because they love and support women as much as HerCampus does. Also, the Center provides tons of programs and resources to the entire University community, which means that guys can reap the benefits as well. Specifically, they have a Men’s Leadership Project, which is a mentorship program where undergrad guys at UVA get paired with seventh grade boys in the Charlottesville area. They also feature a women’s mentorship program, the Young Women Leaders Program.

The Center also offers other leadership roles that students can take on. They have multiple internship positions through several departments: marketing/communications, the legal clinic, body positivity, women, girls, and global justice, gender violence and social change, and Iris (the Center’s online magazine). These internships give students hands on work experience, as well as give them a chance to connect with the University and Charlottesville community.

Finally, the Women’s Center offers great services to students that might not be otherwise available on grounds. This includes individual counseling (ex. body positive, trauma, depression), as well as group and couples counseling. It was an honor to partner with an organization that does so much for the UVA community.

To learn more about the Women’s Center, check them out at their site.

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!