halloween hookup horror stories?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
halloween hookup horror stories?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
MIRAMAX
Style > Fashion

Last-Minute Halloween Costumes to Make You Stand Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

It’s that time of year where every college girl deliberates between being an angel, a devil, a fairy, something funny, or some obscure movie character that people may not recognize for Halloween. No matter which way you decide to go, there’s no better time to express yourself and experiment with different looks than Halloween. If you’re a week(-ish) out from Halloween and still stuck on what to wear, have no fear! Here are five unique last-minute Halloween costumes that are thrift-friendly and guaranteed to make you the coolest girl at any monster mash.

Maxine from x

This is a shameless plug for one of my own Halloween costumes, but it’s for good reason. If you have a pair of short overalls, a tube top, some Doc Martens or cowgirl boots, and cheap blue eyeshadow, you’re in luck. Just curl your hair or tie some pigtail braids back with a bandana and you’ll be a dead ringer (no pun intended) for Mia Goth herself! Extra points if you can master the Texas accent before the big night.

casey becker from scream

Drew Barrymore’s classic scream queen moment makes for a simple yet effective last-minute costume. All you need to do is head to your local thrift and find a chunky cream sweater and then to the local Spirit Halloween or costume store to find a blonde wig. Once you have these, you only need some fake blood or red paint to make a totally convincing blood stain and just start practicing your fake scream from there! Though the chances are slim, if you have an old rotary phone lying around, cut the phone off the cord for a fun prop that will elevate your look.

PRO TIP: If you find this costume to be a bit too hot for packed frats, opt for a sweater vest or some cute cut-off shorts for a more breathable look.

juliet from romeo + Juliet

Arguably the most ethereal, beautiful, and simple look on the list, this costume requires only a white dress and angel wings. If you really want to play up Claire Danes’s angelic take on Juliet, add a white shimmer to the inner corner and line your lower waterline with white. Finally, put your hair up in a simple half-up half-down style to master the look. This costume is perfect with or without a Romeo to accompany it.

Alice Chambers from Don’t worry darling

I have absolutely no doubt that this costume will end up being one of this year’s most popular, but that doesn’t make it any less stunning. Like the prior costume, this costume’s main requirement is a white dress. However, for this costume, I’d opt for one that you don’t mind getting dirty (thus, thrifting is encouraged). Next, find some fake blood or red paint and paint on the most Harry Styles-esque blood stain you can on your midsection. The final (and arguably most difficult) step is mastering Florence Pugh’s ’60s bouffant hairstyle; but don’t worry (darling), hairspray and bobby pins will do the trick easily.

Laurie Strode from Halloween

This is absolutely the most simple look on this list. To channel the original final girl, head to your local thrift and find a blue button-up, then go ham with a pair of scissors or an X-Acto knife to look like you’ve had an encounter with Michael Myers himself. From here, I suggest getting a fake knife from Spirit Halloween and some fake blood to really jazz up the look. To be an extra-convincing scream queen, tousle your hair and put on your game face!

Honorable Mentions: Dani from Midsommar, Mia Wallace from Pulp Fiction, Veronica Sawyer from Heathers, and Pearl from Pearl

Happy Halloween, loves!

Hi! My name is Jaden, and I'm a first-year English major from Franklin County, VA. I love all things pop culture, but I'm currently obsessed with Euphoria, Wes Anderson movies, and Sally Rooney books. I also LOVE Phoebe Bridgers and Hozier! Aside from writing, I love to spend time with my friends, sing, and play my guitar. Wahoowa!