Kelsey Watkins ‘16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UVA chapter.

Year: Third

Major: History and African American and African Studies

Hometown: Long Island, New York

To all who have enjoyed reading the Campus Celebrity column this past year I am sad to say that this is the last article of the year. But on a happier note, they’ll be back again in the fall. With that being said, get to know our last Campus Celebrity of the year, Kelsey Watkins. This extremely hard working and involved third year tells us about what she is involved in, her favorite leisure activities and much more. Enjoy and I hope to see you back in the fall!

What are you involved in around grounds?

I’m one of the directors of Black Voices Gospel Choir. I also serve on the Black Student Alliance executive board. I mentor high school girls through Sisterly Love, tutor at First Baptist Church’s After School Program, and I am a part of Sustained Dialogue.

Why are you involved with this/these organization(s)? How do they add to your experience at UVA?

I’ve always loved singing. I cannot remember a time in my life where I wasn’t in a choir. So joining the gospel choir just seemed natural to me. I joined BSA because the issues facing the African American community within UVA, Charlottesville, and nationwide are very important to me. The other things I do feed my soul. I love kids. I love tutoring them and watching them learn. There’s something so…dope about seeing them understand something that they didn’t know the week before. I love mentoring high school girls because I learn a lot from them and I hope that I am always a positive example in their lives. Sustained Dialogue is fun because it challenges my thinking, which is uncomfortable at times, but nothing great ever came from comfort zones right?

What is your favorite thing to do during your free time?

During my free time, I like to decorate, clean, or rearrange my room. Usually while watching A Different World or Being Mary Jane. I also enjoy cooking and singing…loudly. I hope my neighbors enjoy the concerts I put on for them.

What are you most looking forward to this Summer Break?

I am most looking forward to relaxing. Something that is very difficult to do during the school year. I also look forward to the cute skirts, maxi dresses, and sandals that Summer brings. Lastly, I’ll be interning in D.C. this summer and I’m excited to be in a city that’s unfamiliar to me and to have the opportunity to learn a lot from my internship.

Something people don’t know about you?

Most people don’t know that I’m an only child. I guess people expect only children to be somewhat socially awkward (no offense!) but I enjoy people and am very friendly and outgoing.

Rapid Fire Questions

Favorite show? A Different World

Celebrity crush? John Legend

Scott Stadium or JPJ? Scott Stadium

Favorite color? Fuchsia (Hot Pink)

Hidden talent? I’m actually really good at baking.

Favorite movie? The Princess Diaries (please don’t judge me)

Dream vacation spot? Fiji or the Maldives

Student-athlete at the University of Virginia, that loves journalism!
Katrina Margolis graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in English and Film. She served as the senior editor of HC UVA for two and a half years. She is currently an assistant editor for The Tab. Wahoowa!